Wind socks

antlers

Songster
11 Years
Jun 20, 2008
East Cent Minnesota
Several below have had problems with Hawks. This past summer I saw SOMEPLACE wind socks that looked like all kinds of birds. One was a big Bald eagle. These socks had wings that actually flapped in the wind if suspended from a tall flexible 'fishing pole'like rod. I am just wondering if any one has tried one of these (say owl or eagle) to deter wild hawks. I personally do not have a hawk problem but just a noseyness that might help others....

Later, like this!

Last edited:
I need and appreciate the help. I have been having HAWK problems. I do not want any of my girls becoming HAWK food so we are on LOCKDOWN. I refuse to allow them to FREERANGE ever again until I can figure something out and educate myself.

I have now seen Hawks on 4 occasions this past week. Yesterdays sighting was the closest and it really scared me. This HUGE bird circled slowly for about 2 or 3 minutes. I panicked and tried to scoot the girls to their coop and this upset everyone and they scattered. I did not have any treats nearby and I did not want to leave them for a second.

I need to know what to do or I will leave them in their coop forever. I do not want to be OVER PROTECTIVE but until I know what to do what are my choices?

Quote:
I tried hanging CDs around and on the Mulberry trees to deter other birds and squirrels from eating the mulberries----I saw no difference after a few days. The wildlife seems wary and avoids something new for a while then resumes business as normal for them. The toy stuffed Tiger on the Chicken Coop roof (kids outgrown room decor) worked the longest, I think it was because of the glass eyes staring that did it.

I have CDs hanging but porbably will look into a windsock or two as well. It's very disturbing to know a hawk was successful at getting one of your hens and I hate seeing how frightened the other hens are for days afterward. I'll try anything and everything.

I had a big Red Shouldered Hawk Hopping around on the ground outside my enclosed coop/run on Monday.
My BRs are only 4 1/2 wks so they only free range when I'm out there.

I'm going to keep one for sure and maybe two roos (depends on their behavior) so hopefully once they are grown they will defend my flock for me.

I am wondering if it would work to suspend netting pretty high -- say from trees or the rooftop, ten or twenty feet off the ground, over the area where the hens free range. If there's a concern of other birds getting caught, simply tie colored streamers in the netting.

Am I missing something? Would this work?

Jenny

My birds are exploring further and further away from the house each time they get out... Free Ranging my girls is very uncontrollable for me... They split and go wherever they want to go.. no matter what I try.

Seems I should go into the wind sock bussiness
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom