Window entire length of side?

Chocobo

Chirping
8 Years
May 27, 2011
I am making a chicken tractor that is roughly like this one here:
93565_chicken.jpg

The actual coop box is 4 x 4 feet and the top will be ventilated all the way around.
I was thinking that since I live in Texas a way to combat the heat might be to simply have the lower part of the wall on opposite sides open up like the drawing in the photo so there can be a cross breeze and I wouldn't have to actually cut any holes, just the plywood.
Any reason not to do this?
How tall should the panel/window be?

Last edited:
Yep, what DDAWN said. Open as much of that coop as you can to the air. Mine has one whole side that is nothing but wire, and large windows on two other sides. Plus it's shaded by trees.

I'm assuming this is not intended to be a year around residence but is only a summer resort home? That would make a difference.

Do you have a floor in the coop portion? Again, that changes things a bit.

Instead of answering your question directly, I'll tell you what I would consider. Then you can figure it out based on what you are actually building, if you so choose.

I like to have them roost where they are not in a direct wind so they do need something fairly solid around most sides. I'm not thinking about those mild nights where a gentle breeze feels great but when you have storms. Open on one side can work but I do think they need protection in rough weather on three sides when they are roosting.

I like to give them a corner where they can go to get out of a strong wind or blowing rain during the day without having to go on the roosts. Here, protection on two sides should be plenty.

You definitely need the ventilation above where they are roosting and arrange the nest box so it is not a heat trap. Shade is also extremely important. They need to be able to get out of the direct sun. Sunlight does not come only from overhead. A whole lot of brutal hot sunlight can come in from the sides, especially in the afternoon and evening. This is where that protected corner can again come in handy.

When I built mine, I ran the back wall and a bit on both sides all the way to the ground, with loads of ventilation above. That accomplished what I wanted. There are plenty of other ways to do this.

Of the things I mentioned, I think shade is the most important. Good luck! Hope this helps.

Yes dawn is correct & I took her advice & now build all my coops with three sides.The coops stays cooler in the heat. Plus, they always have acess to their run. Easier to build no pop door. Here's my newest coop I put a deck on top it helps shade the run. There's a ton of open sp
63768_finished_coop_001.jpg
ace in this coop it stays cool even in the extreme heat.

Interesting. I was worried that the windows might be too big but it seems there is no such thing as too big here in Texas.
big_smile.png

I think I'll basically cut the entire side in half length wise and put it on a hinge flipping up. That way it creates it's own shade and rain guard in case of an unexpected storm and can be closed down if need be in the few cold winter nights we have.
Anyone see any issues with this?

Back
Top Bottom