Window-less coop. Will you turn on the light for them if they choose to stay in?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AKnewbie, Oct 30, 2012.

1. AKnewbie

AKnewbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    It's below freezing and a bit windy today and the chickens aren't wanting to come out of their coop.
    Should I leave the light on for them or should I just leave it dark? The only light that will come through would be through their door and vents.

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Sounds like your coop could use a window for additional light, otherwise in bad weather they will get little natural light and may lay less.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Why is there no window? Mine adore their window, it's positioned right in front of the roost so they can look out.

4. AKnewbie

AKnewbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    It was an existing window-less structure (shed) that was converted into a coop.

5. rikithemonk

rikithemonk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Mont Dora Florida
    If you want eggs, Lights on. If you don't mind egg production slowing, then you can leave them off.

Riki

1 person likes this.
  6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Can you add one? I guess i am not a fan of false lighting, i think it tends to overwork the girls needlessly but it is a personal choice, i opt for natural light ie; there big picture window lol

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Nothing funner than taking a big saw and cutting a hole in the wall. Frame it out then cover it with a clear plastic panel - Window!

8. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I don't add light either, but in this case I would. I would put it on a timer to resemble the light we are getting now outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by