Window Placement on Coop

r-l-newell

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 14, 2009
Central Texas
I am in the process of building a 6 foot deep by 8 foot long chicken coop with a 6 foot deep by 4 foot storage area and will be putting some old windows from a home remodel in it. The Coop will be facing North to South and I am trying to find out which side of the coop to put the windows.

I will also be putting a full size door that I have laying around after a home remodel that I will be putting on one side so that I can walk into the storage area and then have a screen door between the storage area and the coops actual chicken holding area.

Any help would be much appreciated with this situation.

Last edited:
IMO: the key to placement of windows should be:

1. Where can I catch the most sunlight during winter months and the least during summer months.
2. Which areas of my coop will get strong winter winds and avoid those areas.
3. If I can't avoid the summer sun because of the position of the coop, I would pick a eastern side for reduced heat vs a western side.

You're in Texas? Why not just make one, two or even three of the walls purely mesh? THen there is no 'window' issue at all.

Really, you will need a whole lot more airflow than you might think.

If you are set on conventional walls (like because you get hurricanes that you want to be able to keep out of the coop, or something), put large-window-sized openings on all 4 sides, with flaps that can cover them if necessary. To ensure light in the coop when the major openings are closed, you could put your conventional windows on the N side (so's to avoid undesirable solar gain).

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Quote:
I actually have framed out most of my walls for conventional style walls and I have considered putting mesh windows on the West Side of the coop and the full sized door on the East Side so I can enter my storage area from there . I will probably put the conventional window on the North Side so as to allow for more light into the coop and to also eliminate the solar effect you are talking about. I hadn't thought about making flaps for the windows for covering them when it rains. That is one disadvantage here in Central Texas is that we get quite a bit of rain in the months of March and May and then spotty amounts throughout the rest of the year. Since I am doing the deep shavings bed method obviously I don't want a lot of rain to get in there and it to get smelly and bug and magget infested because of the rain.

Last edited:
Hi R-L, I'm in Liberty Hill on the NF of the San Gabriel. I have just built my first coop, 8 x 4 x 6' tall and put air vent all along the top at the ceiling, and an attic vent on the South side. I also put in a plexi window so I could check on the girls without opening the door and have a piece of plexi 24 x 48 that I am going to put on the roof for a sky light so they will have lots of light and it won't be dark and gloomy. I did not put any windows in because of the strong winds and rain coming across the river from the north. I am hoping that the vents all across the top and South will allow for adequate air flow but keep the driving rain out. The girls have only been in for about 10 days now so I will have to see how they do. If I need more windows I will get out my recipocating saw and create them on an as needed basis. Good luck. linda/

My coop is in the shade from the south and west, so it doesn't get too hot. That said, I really wish I had a window on the west side as it gets sort of dark inside even tho I have windows on the south and east sides.

Back
Top Bottom