Window with a view :D

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by WKYChick, Jun 13, 2011.

1. WKYChick

WKYChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    We just finished our hen house and DH lined on of the roost bars right in front of the window, so our 13 wk old pullets love it! we turned the window side ways and it slides open easily, even the screen slides open so we can reach in to say good night [​IMG]

The girls, Hawkeye and Buckeye, our EE's
    [​IMG]

Our friendly little Buckeye
    [​IMG]

My son, Jared, saying good night
    [​IMG]

Tusken, our young roo, Hawkeye and Buckeye getting settled in
    [​IMG]

When all the good nights have been said the window is shut tight for the night

2. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    LOVE IT!!! I frequently go out at dusk and give each of my hens a tummy tickle before I tuck them in for the night. Some love it. Others don't, but they are learning to tolerate it.

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] Very nice! I love the window opening up so you can say goodnight. Great idea!

4. WKYChick

May 10, 2011
    Thank you [​IMG] DH is wheelchair bound and so he thought when we were building the coop setting it up like this he could wheel right up to it and talk to 'his girls' as they settle in, we have 6 5 wk old chicks that will be sharing the house when they get old enough, I am working on the 'get to know you' pen to place in the hen house and move them out there.

The window turned out great for all of us [​IMG] and DH, who has never been around chickens, has been enjoying them so much, I catch him sneaking out 'treats' for the girls through out the day. [​IMG]

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    A sliding window! I want one,two, three! What a neat idea!

6. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I would put hardware cloth over the window so no preditors can get in. I know then you couldnt reach in but then again neither could a raccoon.

7. WKYChick

May 10, 2011
    sheila3935: true, it would be an all you can eat buffet to a hungry critter, we have a friend who is going to pop the screen out and replace it with hardware clothe and fix it so we can still slide it open but be more secure, hot nights I like to keep the window open w/screen shut but on colder nights the window will be shut tight but they still get to look out and get the sunshine [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by