windows in coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Susie"J", Aug 28, 2010.

1. Susie"J"

Susie"J" Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    Green Bay area
    Thank You in advance. We are new to this and were wondering about windows in the coop. My husband built one from a wood box he got at work and added a roof and sliding door and a walk out door with plank for the chickens. There is ventilation under the roof edges. Do they need windows for light or additional ventilation? The size is 4'x4' and 6' high. We will only have two chickens till we can expand.

2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmm we put in a window so they'd have a view, but, I guess it does work well for additional light and ventilation. If you do, I recommend inside out and upside down and cover it on the inside with 1/2 in hardware cloth.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    ' could you post a photo. It's a good idea to put 1/2" hardware cloth over the window inside or out, to keep out predator.

4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    The only thing about having a coop with no windows is the absolute darkness of the inside at night. Sometimes chickens are hesitant to go to bed when it's that dark in there. You might consider putting one of those little round lights that you can "bump" on - or a light on a timer, so they can see in there at night time to go to bed.

5. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I used salvaged windows in my coop (see my BYC page for pics) I put the windows facing south and west to maximize solar input during the winter. During the summer the coop is shaded by trees, many that I planted when I built the Coop. I also ventilate under the roof eaves low and high.

6. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    DO DO DO put a window at least one, but DON"T use slider windows. Use a full pane window mounted outside and then you can prop it open for ventilation. Put the hardware cloth on the inside. We have the sliders and the rain pours in. We will have to replace as wind comes in too. I imagine snow will too. I got some cool windows on craigs list with the antique wavy glass for 5 bucks each. Unfortunately since wie have the windows already in they don't fit. You could find something great! Good luck!

7. Susie"J"

Susie"J" Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    Green Bay area
    Thanks for all the help.[​IMG]

8. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Qi Chicken if you take out your sliders and put them in inside out and upside down the rain and snow won't come in - IF you have an overhang on your roof or over the window, that is. The open window venting area will be at the top of the coop then instead of lower down.

9. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    What's with this "put the hardware cloth on the inside" stuff? If you put it on the inside predators can push against whatever is holding it to the window and knock it down. If you put it on the outside what is trying to get through is pushing against the window frame as well as the wire--that's how you fence out. I suggest cutting the hardware cloth wider than the opening, staple it to the outside of the window frame using fencing staples(heavy galvanized ones) every couple of inches and covering the edges with lath to prevent anything from getting at the edges. Same thing is true when fencing a run, wire goes on the outside of the posts to keep predators out.

10. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I have windows/vents on all four sides so no matter which direction the wind or rain is coming I can adjust. I agree, put the wire on the outside for the reasons mentioned by woodmort. My windows are 3 ft. up so most predators can't reach them anyhow. I put wire up for the dogs that love to look in and see what the ladies are up to. My St. Bernard gets up there and the wire holds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by