Windows on coop

We have a very large coop and it has 7 window openings covered only with wire and then shutters very similar to the ones posted above that my husband built. It has worked very well even in the winter. The windows that were at the same level as the roosts at the north end were a bit drafty through the shutters, so my husband cut some Styrofoam that fits snuggly between the wire and the closed shutters on that north side. The other windows have mostly been left open and our flock has seemed very comfortable all season.

This is a pic of the coop before it was painted and finished out.

As stated before I'm in the middle of remodeling and of course trying to keep costs down, I needed one small window 24" wide and found the perfect unit at Lowes, they are called utility windows. A
24x30 unit was $50 and they had other sizes down to about $43, these are vinyl single pane windows with a screen, perfect. I needed a door too but couldn't see paying the new price since I had to cut it 73" tall. I kept an eye on the Habitat ReStore and found a mostly solid core door for $15, score. The Habitat for Humanity Restore is the perfect place to buy coop materials, doors, windows, paint and all kinds of hardware, it's pennies on the dollar compared to new.

We bought a sash from Habitat for Humanity. Needed a little glazing and sanding followed by paint. BUT, for $2.75 it is just what we needed. Put 2 hinges at the top, an eye bolt at the bottom. Lift out and up, use the eye bolt to attach to a chain that is attached to the roof in our run. Predator Proof hasp at the bottom. Hardware cloth on the inside. Waiting for some time to assemble this coop and meanwhile, the ideas pour in!

We have two store bought windows in our coop. Other than aesthetics, they really don't provide as much ventilation as the cutout hardware cloth windows. I framed up around where I wanted to put the window, drilled holes in the corners, and followed the framing with a jugsaw to cut out the siding. We then measured and folded the sides of some hardware cloth and attached it just behind the inside of the siding. We then attached the siding back with a couple hinges. Really makes for some handy shuttered windows and they fit flush with a couple toggles screwed on to secure them.

We used basement windows installing them inside out and backwards so they opened out/hinged on top rather than in/hindged on bottom. They work great keeping the rain out while allowing ventilation. In the winter the north side window is closed but the south side window stays at least partially open. It has never rained or snowed in.

We went to ReStore but they didn't have the right size so I think we are just going to go with hardware and shutters. We had friends over yesterday to do a "coop raising" - kind of like and Amish barn raising but with fewer beards and more beer :)

Last edited:
The problem with shutters, cute as they are, is that it darkens the coop even more. Ventilation and light are very important! Big openings covered in hardware cloth are much less expensive to build, and then a double layer of clear sheet plastic over the lower sections, blocking the wind and weather, works in winter. Not as cute, but very functional. And look at those wonderful Woods coops, built to be open to the south in all weathers! Mary

Back
Top Bottom