Windows, on the cheap ( how)

We made our to save money. We made them out of Plexiglas. We also put hinges on them so we can open them up. I have a page made with picture of my coop is you want to take a look. Hope that helps good luck.

Keep a good lookout on craigslist, lots of time you'll find free windows (or at least free sashes, which u can easily make into open/close windows wil a couple of hinges). Don't overlook just using aluminum storm windows, I used one for one of my coop windows, I just tape a sheet of plastic on the inside of it in winter and it works out just fine. Also check out a Habitat for Humanity ReStore if you have one in your area.

I went to the Habitat for Humanity Restore. After looking at their windows and deciding I didn't even want to spend $30 apiece for windows, I wandered into their outside yard (where they kept large stuff, roofing tiles, etc.).

On every trip I made, I found windows out back that had some flaw in them, that in their minds made them not salesworthy. I asked how much they would take for them and each time was told, nothing, just drive your car around and we will load them up for you.

Now I have more windows than I want. Come on down to the springs and I'll give them to ya!

lau.gif

I just bought those five (5) 4 foot tall, three foot wide
single pane alumium windows plus a new sliding patio
door and a small 24x24 window for $100 on craigslist,
about 50 mile from the house.

I didn't even try to beat him down on the price.

So...my choice is craigslist or local trader papers.

I found some large windows for cheap and took them to a glass shop and had them cut to my size. I then cut some frames and installed the glass. 5 windows cost me 23 dollars with the glass cutting.

I used some clearance storm windows from Lowe's on my last build. They were $18 I think.
I also found some GE lexan greenhouse panel scraps that had been thrown away. I've made several windows and doors for my other coops out of it. It's some tough stuff.

We got ours from a Restore shop also. We don't have a local one but I just happened to be in a town that did for one of my kids' activities when we needed them. So I was able to stop there (and actually at another that was on our way home) and got 5 windows for $35. They are just cheap storm windows but fine for our coop.

We got ours from a local salvage shop. Thermal pane window for $5. The rest we built from plexi glass (we put them into frames so we could open them in the warmer weather).

Back
Top Bottom