Windows open or closed?

bonsha

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 26, 2010
This is the first year with my ten girls. They are in a 8x8 coop with insulation on the ceiling and some of the walls. The front of the coop (south side) is 1/4 hardware cloth about 1 1/2 ft long by 6 ft wide and a smaller on on the east side about 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 ft also of hardware cloth. The top also has hardware cloth along the roof line for ventilation. I am not sure if I should board up the windows over the winter or leave them open. When it is stormy I have boarded them, but not sure what to do in the winter. I am in Northern VT so winters can be harsh. I have a red light in there but have not used it yet bc I want "tough chicks". Any thoughts on weather to keep the windows open or closed for the upcoming winter? :/

You need to make sure that the chickens do not have a wind draft on them in the coop. Since the wind normally comes from the SW? You might want to reduce some of the open air on that side. I have E window vents I leave open year round but, they are up 8' high and are easy to close if, the temps drop super low.

I would say closed. If you have ventilation at the roof that should be good.
You don't want too much moisture (and the hens breathing will create moisture) with the widows closed
But you don't want dust/shavings blowing around either.

I don't suggest using the lamp if you are prone to power outages, because the chickens will be use to the heat and could go into shock if the power goes out.
I had chickens that would never go in a coop/house and slept in the snow under some shrubs... they made it through just fine.

Good luck!

Thank you for the helpful info. I am going to close the windows!

big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom