1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

windy woes!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tmarr, Oct 27, 2015.

1. tmarr

tmarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2015
    Right before I take the 'head staggers' and bulldoze my shed to the ground I'm hoping there will be a simple solution to the nightmare that is my shed roof! It's been felted and plastic roof sheets put on but it all keeps coming off in the wind!! I put plenty of nails in but it makes no difference! It is situated in a bit of a wind tunnel but unfortunately I can't relocate it! For the second time the plastic has come off and shattered on the grass! (Not fun picking it up in the wind and rain!).

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Could you switch to tin?

3. Cheep N Peep

Cheep N Peep Chillin' With My Peeps

You could do shingles...

4. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    Our coop has a shingle roof but the run is metal. No wind problems so far.

5. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    How about screws instead of nails? Better yet those roofing screws with the big heads and neoprene washers.

6. tmarr

Jul 15, 2015
    Thanks guys! Some great ideas, going to have to get my finger out and sort it!

7. tmarr

Jul 15, 2015
    Sigh! Well I've been battling hurricane Abigail and you can guess who's winning! The plastic sheeting is useless just flys off and breaks! :(

8. jonezjollyfarm

jonezjollyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2015
    Illinois
    I feel ya! I wrapped my run with plastic when it started to cool off. I'm ready to take down the whole coop and run and move my flock in the dang house! We had a heck of a storm last night and crazy winds today. I will definitely be starting from scratch this spring.

9. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    I still think tin would be a better option. It may still fly off (hard to keep anything on in a huricane) but it would remain in one sheet. And it is bendable, so you could bend it down to avoid areas that allow the wind in.

10. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    How about posting a picture of your coop so we can help brainstorm a better idea? Honestly though, if it were me, I'd be inclined to slap some shingles on the thing and be done with it. Is there a reason you want the plastic panels?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by