Wing Band question

SundownWaterfowl

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 16, 2008
Southern Columbia County NY
I just ordered some wing bands and have a question about putting them on. What age can they be put on the bird? I heard any age is fine, from day old up to full grown birds. I ordered the Jiffy Wing Bands that use the 893s band sealer. Do you first push the band through the wing webbing, then line up the sealer and close the band, or put the band right in the band sealer and pop it through and seal it?

Go to Nationalband.com The have a great video on applying wing bands on day old chicks. I bought them to use on adults and day old birds. Then I was told that if you put them on day old babies, they tend to twist around...
hmm.png
I've put them on adult and youngsters down to a few weeks old. I'm going to try babies about a week old and see how it goes. A word of warning, we used the Jiffy bands when I did my NPIP testing (the testers put them on a lot harder than I can manage) and two birds that I know of have already lost their bands. I don't know how many others may have lost them.

Quote:
you put the band in the sealer and it does all the work for you! you just slide the jaws of the sealer over the wing, make sure it's in the right place, and squeeze. it will pierce the wing web AND seal the band. that's it! i rotated my bands through once they were sealed, but i don't think that's necessary. my birds haven't lost one yet.

the video on the National Band website is good for getting your placement right, but other than that it's not going to help much.

Quote:
you put the band in the sealer and it does all the work for you! you just slide the jaws of the sealer over the wing, make sure it's in the right place, and squeeze. it will pierce the wing web AND seal the band. that's it! i rotated my bands through once they were sealed, but i don't think that's necessary. my birds haven't lost one yet.

the video on the National Band website is good for getting your placement right, but other than that it's not going to help much.

Okay, thats what I needed to know. Thanks.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom