Wing Clipping - How High Can They Jump After?

Reyvaughn

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Northeast Pennsylvania
It may be a weird question. I just moved and I have a problem with the neighbor's dogs coming over to my place. The chicken coop has an attached "pasture" for the pony they had here. It's wood fence with 3' wire around the bottom. The coop they are in is way to small for them and I am having some squabbles I need to end. I want to let them out, but I can't with the dog coming over, and I can't free range like I used to do at the old place. If I clip their wings, will they still be able to jump a 3' fence? I have BAs, Orps, EEs... Mostly big breeds except for the EEs and two banties. I know my bigger chickens had a hard time getting up 4' with the use of their wings. So, will they stay pretty much grounded after their wings are clipped?

In my experience with my chickens, they still jumped over their 3' fence even after clipping their wings. I've read on here 3' is nothing for a chicken to just jump over, my larger chickens didn't though nor my EE, she stays in the yard but she also wasn't flying over the fence.

Be careful and inspect the birds quills bc if you cut a blood feather it is a straw and your pet WILL BLEED OUT. I also should say being able to fly up into danger works the other way too. They need them to fly away from danger. A simple solution would be to go over to the neighbor and introduce yourself if you have not already and explain your issues totally, honestly and ask him her to help in the solution. If you are diplomatic and not offensive most people will get involved in the helping itself. Explain that your fear of the dog and most any dog will run down a grounded chickens and play with it but unintentionally kill it in its playfulness. They will say that their dog will never do that but in my experience that is not true. Explain that even though they believe that, that your fear for your pet is real and justified to please help and how could we make sure your dog can not have access to the area that's adjutant to the chicken area, Please Help me with my fears I love my chickens as much as you love your dog. Thank you very much for your help and listening to you.

How to clip your chickens wings is posted in the learning center here on the BYC.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-wingclipping.html

Last edited:
Quote:
We already spoke to the neighbor. He said to just shoo them back over. Um... Why is it our responsibility to take care of your dogs? That's a whole other sore topic. I would rather him tie his dogs, like I do mine, or I'd love to shoot his dogs (I don't have a gun... for a good reason, I guess). I don't WANT to clip my birds' wings. I just want to keep them in their fenced in yard because I know the dogs can't get in it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom