wing clipping mistake.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by megachase, Jan 17, 2011.

1. megachase

megachase New Egg

Jun 25, 2010
    I live in the city and my aprx 1 yr. old sexers refuse to be kept in by our 6' fence. I didn't want to clip them because they like to sleep in the tree. Unfourtunatly, our neighbors aren't so found of my girls. I stupidly read the wing clipping how to too fast and ended up clipping both wings on each bird. Is there any other way to keep them grounded other than a full enclosure? How long before I get a second chance at clipping?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You will get your second chance when the wing feathers grow back. Since you clipped them and did not pull them out, they will not grow back until they molt.

3. megachase

megachase New Egg

Jun 25, 2010
    Is pulling them out an option at this point? Does that hurt the chicken?

4. Red&Yellow

Red&Yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    I don't know what you read, or if the birds keep doing it, but I always clip both wings. Otherwise mine get out!

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Clip the primary feathers closer than recommended.

6. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I've tried clipping one wing only and it never worked for me. I have to clip the feathers on both wings or they will still fly out of their enclosure.

7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Many people not cutting close enough or fail to cut enough primary feathers.

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    We just did this Saturday. Clipped one wing and they cannot fly up to the 4 ft fence! Now they can still jump up on shorter stuff and get over the fence, we just had to move the pots & bird bath!! [​IMG]

9. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    Not sure what kind of fencing you have, but mine will get up onto the top rail of 4' high chain link fencing, even with BOTH wings clipped! Board fencing, the same thing... if they think it's wide enough to support landing on, they'll take a huge jump and then boost themselves up with whatever wing power is left.

My solution was to thread thin bamboo poles at intervals along the fencing so they extended a foot above the top rail of the fence. Then I looped baling wire around the bamboo poles and onto the next one so there was a line of wire 6" higher than the top rail, all along the fence. You can use string if you don't have baling wire.
    It's too flimsy-looking for my chickens to want to land on. That's the key.

The strangest thing is, I don't have high fences around 90% of their yard. Most of their area is surrounded by 2' green wire rabbit fencing. I think it's the color. They can't see it from a distance because it's green wire against grass and forest. And once they get up close to it, it doesn't look strong enough to support their weight so they don't try to hop over it. But if there's a branch hanging nearby or something they can stand on to launch themselves over... the fence is way behind them! Opportunists.

10. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    My American games, which can out fly any other chicken breed, when properly clipped on either one or both wings can be rendered incapable for topping a 4 foot fence. Show a photo of clipping job.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by