Wing clipping

Kate Shaw

Chirping
Jan 24, 2019
Avon, NY
Hi!
First time flock keeper

Last week one of my pullets flew outside of her 5 foot fence and was killed by our neighbors’ dog. I heightened the fence by about a foot and yesterday another pullet was out. I really didn’t want it to come to this, but I’m thinking I should clip wings to keep them safe. I’m not sure if I should clip the whole flock or just the ones I catch out of their run. They have all taken their turns with that in the past but since I heightened the fence it seemed to be less frequent.
I just want to keep them safe.
Any suggestions are appreciated!

Hi!
First time flock keeper

Last week one of my pullets flew outside of her 5 foot fence and was killed by our neighbors’ dog. I heightened the fence by about a foot and yesterday another pullet was out. I really didn’t want it to come to this, but I’m thinking I should clip wings to keep them safe. I’m not sure if I should clip the whole flock or just the ones I catch out of their run. They have all taken their turns with that in the past but since I heightened the fence it seemed to be less frequent.
I just want to keep them safe.
Any suggestions are appreciated!
Hello.
I had the exact same thing happen to me. Lost a pullet to the neighbors dog and this was AFTER I'd already clipped one wing, primaries only.
I ended up clipping the entire flock, both wings of at least the primaries. Some of them needed the secondaries taken too as they were persistent.

I clipped last December. They have long since given up trying to escape their pen and are now molting in new wing feathers. I doubt I will need to clip them again as they are quite accustomed to their new territory and seem very content.

This is the definitive thread on wing clipping.
@centrarchid should make it an article IMO!

Hello.
I had the exact same thing happen to me. Lost a pullet to the neighbors dog and this was AFTER I'd already clipped one wing, primaries only.
I ended up clipping the entire flock, both wings of at least the primaries. Some of them needed the secondaries taken too as they were persistent.

I clipped last December. They have long since given up trying to escape their pen and are now molting in new wing feathers. I doubt I will need to clip them again as they are quite accustomed to their new territory and seem very content.

This is the definitive thread on wing clipping.
@centrarchid should make it an article IMO!

Thank you!!! I feel validated!!
I really was feeling terrible about clipping all of them if not necessary- but I REALLY don’t want to risk another loss. Thanks for the link!!

I added Deer netting to my newest pen to keep out hawks, but should work to keep chickens in pen. GC
20190529_092900.jpg

I added Deer netting to my newest pen to keep out hawks, but should work to keep chickens in pen. GCView attachment 1889231
Sometimes deer netting is not feasible. This is the area I have to keep them in. Defined by the yellow line.
Aerial map.jpg

And what do you do when snow collapses the netting? That must be a pain to deal with.

I live in Florida so no problems with snow. Have been through a hurricane though. I have 2" netting covering my pens which are 200 feet x 60 feet. Some of the fence post did get bent over but the netting stayed intact. I did have a couple of Leghorns that no matter what coop and pen I put them in they would find a way out (Houdini-1 and Houdini-2). Eventually they disappeared. I did find some feathers behind the coops. I suspect either a fox or coyote. They are the only ones who have tried to get out. I put the netting up before the trees were planted.
IMG_20160701_104512.jpg
Netting.jpg

Back
Top Bottom