Wing drooping, head sagging chick

They didn’t have the drench stuff at the feed store but they had this, so it’s what we’ve been using. I’m afraid she’ll be dead in the 3 days it’s gonna take to order some
It doesn't have the amino acids and is one of the main reasons it isn't as effective.

I'm not seeing coccidiosis.. but YOU must decide what you think you're seeing.. If you do treat with Corid.. don't supplement with that as even though it's not included on the guaranteed analysis.. I see B vitamins in the ingredient list including thiamine which is how Corid works by blocking or mimicking thiamine to starve out an slow the growth of the coccida.. it doesn't actually actively kill anything.

Are you in the US?

I realized there are some assumptions I made which may not have been accurate.. Did the chicks come from the feed store, or hatchery where shipping might have taken place? Or private seller? Do you know how old?

Kudos to hubby btw.. you're both doing great trying to help this chick make it. :fl

It doesn't have the amino acids and is one of the main reasons it isn't as effective.

I'm not seeing coccidiosis.. but YOU must decide what you think you're seeing.. If you do treat with Corid.. don't supplement with that as even though it's not included on the guaranteed analysis.. I see B vitamins in the ingredient list including thiamine which is how Corid works by blocking or mimicking thiamine to starve out an slow the growth of the coccida.. it doesn't actually actively kill anything.

Are you in the US?

I realized there are some assumptions I made which may not have been accurate.. Did the chicks come from the feed store, or hatchery where shipping might have taken place? Or private seller? Do you know how old?

Kudos to hubby btw.. you're both doing great trying to help this chick make it. :fl
We are in the US. The local feed store just doesn’t seem to have much in the way of medicine. They were out of medicated feed, so I’m assuming everyone just bought everything at the beginning of chick season and we’re a little behind.

We got them from the feed store. They’re originally from Hoovers Hatchery tho.

I’m not sure she’s going to make it. She’s started panting and won’t take anymore food. But we’re going to drive out to town and see if we can get the suggested drench stuff and Corid. Can it hurt to treat everyone just in case? Seems like we should have some in hand anyway. It’s just a 2-3 hour drive so I’m not hopeful she’ll be around when we get back 😭

We got them from the feed store. They’re originally from Hoovers Hatchery tho.

I’m not sure she’s going to make it. She’s started panting and won’t take anymore food. But we’re going to drive out to town and see if we can get the suggested drench stuff and Corid. Can it hurt to treat everyone just in case? Seems like we should have some in hand anyway.
Those two items are definitely good to have on hand.

The whole feed store/Hoovers.. confirms my original thoughts that this is likely shipping stress more so than coccidiosis. Also.. could be a failure to thrive.. not everything that hatches (and even looks perfect at the beginning) will make it.. You're correct panting is not a good sign.

It won't hurt to treat them all with Corid or use a preventaive dose in the water (also it's the medicated part of medicated feed).. I wouldn't (at this point) because I don't believe that's the issue.. and I do like things to work when I actually need them.. and resistance is a real problem in some locations. But again, please use YOUR best judgement.

Regarding Corid or other supplementation.. any chick or bird this far gone will require direct dosing to the beak as they would never ingest enough medication to make a difference on their own.

When this small I hold the chick in my hand with beak facing forefinger and drip just below the nostrils, using the bend in my forefinger to help direct the beak and drip together.. they usually gobble and swallow as it rolls around into their mouth.. I've never YET aspirated a chick this way.

Just clean up that bumm before you go so it doesn't accidentally paste over and do a final watering.. Sorry you're going through this, I KNOW how heart breaking it can be.

Come on little chick perk up, we're all pulling for you! 🐥

Back
Top Bottom