Wing feathers hanging down?

boatagor

Songster
7 Years
6 Years
Apr 4, 2017
Southwest Virginia
We unfortunately had a bear break into our coop over the weekend. It took off with an adult hen and a 12 week old pullet. Everyone else seems fine, except my favorite pullet Nellie. She's still eating, drinking, running around, begging for snuggles and in general just being the best chicken ever, but her wing feathers are hanging down from her body in a weird way. The other side is worse but I wasn't able to get pictures, that wing actually seems to brush the ground. She seems slightly uncomfortable if I touch her in the wing area, but otherwise is still allowing me to handle her as usual. Is there anything I can do for her? Are the wings broken, or is she just missing some feathers, making her wings look odd?

Attachments

• PXL_20220816_134422198.jpg
    PXL_20220816_134422198.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 32
  • PXL_20220816_134418227.jpg
    PXL_20220816_134418227.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
Poor girl. She could have injured them during the attack. Only other thing I can think of is the feathers are out of place and making her wings look like they are drooping. My rooster will accidentally cause this to some of my hens due to mating. Hope she is ok and glad she is seeming normal!

We unfortunately had a bear break into our coop over the weekend. It took off with an adult hen and a 12 week old pullet. Everyone else seems fine, except my favorite pullet Nellie. She's still eating, drinking, running around, begging for snuggles and in general just being the best chicken ever, but her wing feathers are hanging down from her body in a weird way. The other side is worse but I wasn't able to get pictures, that wing actually seems to brush the ground. She seems slightly uncomfortable if I touch her in the wing area, but otherwise is still allowing me to handle her as usual. Is there anything I can do for her? Are the wings broken, or is she just missing some feathers, making her wings look odd?
Looks like my poor chook praying Nellie gets better

Nellie's wings still look like this. She stopped letting us handle her not long after this post. She used to want to be held, but not any more. I don't know if her wings will ever be normal again, but she seems healthy.

Back
Top Bottom