Wing problem

Kay95

In the Brooder
May 10, 2023
I have a 9 month old buff orpington. The last few days she seems a little off. Eating and drinking normal. Poop normal. But she seems a little tired and stand offish. I picked her up to give her an inspection and from how she looks she is fine. But. When she started flapping her wings she only flapped one. The other one didn't do anything. I picked it up and she still didn't flap it. But it's not hanging or dangling. She looks completely normal. She has been going in the coop periodically during the day to lay down. Then she will come back out. She still comes running for food and what not but goes in much earlier than the rest do at night. I'm assuming she hurt it? But idk what to do?

Are you able to bring her in for a couple of days so she can stay warm and rest more and you can observe her better? It is good if she didn't use her wings at all. She probably did injure it but if you can't see anything wrong with it, she might have just strained or sprained it so it hurts.

If it were me I'd give her some vitamin water and make a mash of her food and scrambled eggs so she eats well too. All that will help her heal faster.

I hope she's better soon!

How is your chicken doing today? Is there any improvement?
She seems to be doing okay. She was excited to come out this morning and was eating drinking and pecking around. I attached some photos. The photo of her just standing by the fence is the wing she is not using. I did not pick her up or mess with the wing today incase she is hurting.

Attachments

• 20231110_084801.jpg
    20231110_084801.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 20231110_084851.jpg
    20231110_084851.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 20231110_084907.jpg
    20231110_084907.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Are you able to bring her in for a couple of days so she can stay warm and rest more and you can observe her better? It is good if she didn't use her wings at all. She probably did injure it but if you can't see anything wrong with it, she might have just strained or sprained it so it hurts.

If it were me I'd give her some vitamin water and make a mash of her food and scrambled eggs so she eats well too. All that will help her heal faster.

I hope she's better soon!
I might bring her in. I don't think it's anything too serious, hopefully anyway. But I feel bad if she is hurting. I got her out this morning and she was excited to get out. I did make her some scrambled eggs and she was eating and drinking and pecking around. I didn't mess with her wing though incase she is hurting. I posted some pictures to the comment below showing her and the side with the wing she is not using.

I might bring her in. I don't think it's anything too serious, hopefully anyway. But I feel bad if she is hurting. I got her out this morning and she was excited to get out. I did make her some scrambled eggs and she was eating and drinking and pecking around. I didn't mess with her wing though incase she is hurting. I posted some pictures to the comment below showing her and the side with the wing she is not using.
Gorgeous chickens! I hope she heals up. Chickens aren't too graceful, that's for sure, but if you can maybe look around the coop and run to see if there's something they can get in trouble with. It could have just been some freak accident though, or maybe she got spooked and flew into something.

Back
Top Bottom