wing problem?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Dec 8, 2013.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    [​IMG]

This is Mildred. She is my almost 3 year old Khaki Campbell. She has been through couple nasty bouts with bumble foot and come out a fighter (one tough cookie!) This morning I noticed her wing drooping. You can kind of see it from the picture. She flew out of the duck house this morning and landed hard. I thought she may have broken it. Upon examination, there is a abnormal mass of feathers toward the bottom and back of the wing about two inches in diameter (no such mass on her other side). The skin does not appear to be swollen, or puffy, or hard, so I don't think there is an abscess inside (although I always wonder if the bumble foot infection will come back in another form). She is kind of quiet, but eating, and bossing the other ducks as per normal. She let me examine it without putting up a fight and sat on my lap quietly while I was doing it. (After the bout with bumble foot, she doesn't let me near her if she can help it). I don't notice anything structural with the wing itself. Anyone seen anything like this? She's in the house resting by herself, with a dose of Nutri-dench and her favorite peas. Anyone see anything like this? Sorry, the picture didn't appear blurry on my phone.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have not seen or heard of this one, newbyduckmom. Oh, mercy, Mildred is one of my duck heroes. I will look around and see if I can turn up anything.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  4. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    I don't know, Amiga. I don't feel any sort of a mass, but it could be. Thanks for the heads up, I can examine more closely and see what I find. Thanks!

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That is very interesting Amiga, I had never heard of this before.

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Ditto, very fascinating, they are lucky they have access to a vet willing to help with this sort of thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by