Wingband kits

frenchblackcopper

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 14, 2009
East central Illinois
We had our first group of 12 peachicks hatch,,besides India Blue,we have Charcoal,Bronze,Camoe W/E,Purple,Emerald Pied,Midnight,Black Shoulder all part of this. When each hatched out,I used small zip ties of diffrent colors put on the right or left leg,and wrote down the corresponding color or combination of colored zip ties,for each color varation of the peachick. but I know,one day I will lose my cheat-sheet,,and not be able to tell them apart,being new at raising these.I've read about wing banding,,,but cannot locate a kit with the bands,or the band applicator needed to install them.Any help where a kit with bands be located?

no, but reason for two, just in case one gets pulled out. I have lots of older breeders with both bands still in. I get double numbers ,so both band have the same number.

I was on the National Band site (planning ahead for next spring:D) and it said you could add 6 digits to the band.
Does everyone start with the year and then do identifying numbers ie 10200 chick 200 born in the year '10? Or do you just order 1-1000 and note it in the records where each year ends? If you don't use all 6 digits are the numbers bigger? Has anyone tried the painted numbers, does the paint last?
Can you read a wing band on an adult bird (I've never seen one) or do youleg band it later too? What happens if it is inserted incorrectly, can you damage the wing as it grows? I watched the video and it didn't seem that hard but you have to wonder, the first time.
thanks

Irene

I bought the kit and band applicator as Deerman recommended here. On occasion,when crimping the band together the lower part "sticks" in the applicator and you must kinda twist the band loose from the applicator.I always look at the pointy end of the band to make sure it's not bent,but twice when crimping the band the pointed end does not go thru the slot,,sometimes it looks as tho the slot is not even cut in the corresponding side of the band.
I ordered 2 sets numbered 1-100,,Didn't know about the colored ones or special numbered ones,I just write down what the band number is and what the breeding of the chick is that goes with the band number. The numbers are rather small and hard to see,and as the chick grows feather,you cannot see the band,but out of 38 that I have banded,all bands are still on them.

Interesting. I have never put wing bands on any bird, nor have I seen one on a bird at any point in real life. I was under the impression that they were applied through the skin (like punctured through it). Are there any that wrap around the wing without punching through the webbing? I would hate to do it wrong and injure the bird trying to go through.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom