Wings droopy, shaking.. SICK, BELOVED ROOSTER - PLEASE HELP ME!

Quote:
Yes, he likes to sunbathe in the sun that comes in through the windows. Darn cute when he does, too...

It's freezing outside right now.. I don't want to just plunge him out there into the weather. How could I do that, gradually, without shocking him?

Do your windows have a UV blocking layer on them? Most windows now do, and that could stop him from getting what he needs from the sunlight. My mother's chickens were all getting lethargic and droopy until we finally got the pen built so they could get outside, fixed them right up.
As to what the feed store lady told you.... Well, I know chick starter is a lot more expensive than the layer feed around here. Could she have been trying to make more money off of you?

Quote:
Oh my gosh, I think they might. I didn't even think of that!
Hmm, that's a possibility.. I've never liked that feedstore, but I've kept going because the closest.

He's definitely gonna have to go outside now, I've just got to figure out how. Thanks for the story about your mother's chickens, it made me feel hopeful.

I see that you had him on vitamins and took him off to switch to electrolytes.

Put the vitamins in his electrolytes. You can get bird vitamins at a pet store that you drip into their regular drinking water. These are made for people's house birds (like parakeets, canaries, etc) and contain Vitamin D among other things. This helps replace the nutrients they do not have when they are inside all the time.

Remember, chickens in egg factories (I flat refuse to call them farms) don't get sunlight. However, they supplement their feed, not that these birds are going to be allowed to live for all that long anyway.

Quote:
That is a very good idea. He's still the same way he was a few days ago. I've been mixing spinach leaves, yogurt, oats, and other things I can find in his food, but maybe bird vitamins would be good too. I'll definitely look into those. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom