wings "sticking out" ??

opi8

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 20, 2009
Hi everybody!

I am new to raising chickens. My wife and I thought we would give it a try, for the fun and eggs. My chicks are 4 days old now and "seem" to be doing quite well besides some poop i clean from their rears everyday. I could almost watch them grow!!
I have a little concern with one of the chicks wing development. Granted they are only 4 days old but, a particular chicks wings seems to be growing outwards from its body. They look like "straw with tuffs of feathers at the tips". Hers are longer than the others and they seem to go away from the body. the other chicks developing wings are nicely "tucked in" near the body. Is this normal? When the chickens weight catches up with the wings will they eventually rest on her side? the chick i am referring to is a buff orpington.
If you need any info I am more than willing to provide it. I am soooo new to this, so please be patient.

Thanks for you help in advance..

Opi

I'm new to this too. Seems like i read something here about that but not sure. I would post this under emergency care thread. But don't panic it doesn't sound bad to me. Probably just need to add something to her diet. Good Luck and welcome to BYC.

welcome-byc.gif
Could you post a picture?

Quote:
That's what it sounds like to me. If you are able, post a picture of the chick in question and we should be able to tell you right off the bat. If that is the case, it's nothing to be worried about. It's just a different 'look' to the chickens. It's somewhat hard to come across too, so if that's it you got yourself a special little baby there. Look up 'frizzle chicken' on google and see if that's what your chick looks like.
smile.png

I did have a batch where about half of them had wings sticking out at odd angles after the first week. They all grew out of it by the time they finished feathering and are normal chickens now. Not sure what it was.

I don't think it's a frizzle. She seems to be eating and drinking just fine.

I took a picture but I see no "upload" photo in this forum.. How do i do it?

Thanks,

To add photos (info copied from Nifty's instructions):

1) Click on the "Uploads " link at the very top of every page (in the blue menu bar).
2) Once the "Upload image" page loads, click the "Browse" button and find the jpg or gif picture on your computer and then click the "Submit" button.
3) Your image will be uploaded (and resized if needed) and you will be presented with a thumbnail of your picture along with two image code options:

Thumb - This is the code you use to show a small version of your image that can be clicked to show the full size image.
Image - This is the code you use to show the full size image directly in your post.

4) Copy the image code and paste it into your post.

Ok got it,

As you can see this chicks wings protrude slightly, the others are right next to their body.
Let me know what you think..

23337_p1010007.jpg

It is called angel wing..

geese get it .. there are many theories about it.. we will not get into that discussion here..

It is harmless. can be corrected by taping the wings to the body..

chickens seem to grow out of it more readily than geese do..

I do not know anything about frizzle

Back
Top Bottom