Winner winner is not a chicken dinner!

SuperMyke

Chirping
Mar 8, 2018
Toledo, Ohio
Today is day 21 first egg to hatch is lucky #19. I am new to his forum. I feel like I did when my kids were born. Only difference I have 36 more to wait for. This is my new meaning to labor. Ok may be not labor is no laughing matter. Any ideas on how to tell the gender of the chicks? All I can tell you for sure is the Roo is a Light Brahma named "Tank"
20180308_182710.jpg #19

20170721_181657.jpg This is the Roo Tank

Last edited:
:welcome
Congratulations on the chicks. Some people say what till the chicks are 6 weeks before guessing the age. There is ways to figure out what the gender is sooner. Hens feathers grow faster than roosters is one.
Is Tank Light Brahma? Is the chicks pure bred?

:welcome
Congratulations on the chicks. Some people say what till the chicks are 6 weeks before guessing the age. There is ways to figure out what the gender is sooner. Hens feathers grow faster than roosters is one.
Is Tank Light Brahma? Is the chicks pure bred?
Not a pure bread but Tank is a pure bred. Chicks will all be mutts but they will be my first mutts.

20180310_215641-1.jpg
Here are the babies still hatching out of 37 eggs lost 2 when they pip it was on the wrong end and got really big & got stuck. 8 eggs still are a mystery. As of right now I am at about 75% hatch rate so not so bad for a 1st timer. I am thinking that the ones with dots on their heads are a sex-linked. Was wondering if any one knows? Male? Female?
Also the yellow ones are? I have no clue just a mix but look like a pure bred which is not possible as I know where they were and only one roo "Tank" the Light Brahma. Any helpful hints as to breed or combo of bred or what the mommy was would be awesome. Thanks for the help. Chirp at ya'll later!:frow

Update...

:wee

I think we are done hatching ended up with 28 out of 37 hatching. 2 died and 7 are just not doing anything. I ended up with a 75.67%. Which is not too bad for my first hatch of my chicken addiction career!! :celebrate

Wow, that is good. Congratulations on the successful hatch. My last hatch was 5 hatches out of 13 eggs and three of those was roosters.

Well, let me just say no too much of a celebrarion just yet... I seem to be a rooster magnet as well. Only time will tell if the chick's are hens or roos. I do have some sex linked chick's just praying that the black ones with the yellow dot on the back of their heads are roosters. Only a few of them. If not then I will have a rooster sale sooner than later:eek:. Does anyone know if the yellow dot on back of black chick's head is a roo or not? :fl:bow

Well I saw a picture on a web site that gave me hope:celebrate the ones with dots on their heads are roosters according to the picture that I saw. Now the yellow ones I can not tell as they are all yellow. One blue/gray one he/she was #2 we are calling him Plopper. Get it #2:jumpy. Plopper. Anyways no other ones are that color. I did not want to band them so I knew the hatch order but my OCD was really kicking in and I wanted too. They are getting their feathers in and I love to see them stretch their little chicken drumsticks. Just can not get enough. Well that's it for now. I will try and get some pic for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom