Winter Advice! Brrrrr!

ANiceKaren

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
Frazier Park California
Hi friends! I need some solid winter advice for my “open air run/coops”. I have seven fully feathered laying hens. My run is a good size and fully covered with metal/wood roof. There is ventilation at the top and windows I can open as well for additional ventilation. The run is 3 thin but solid walls (plywood) and currently added plastic to help with wind/cracks. The open part of run is wire and plastic right now for winter. My concern is my girls being too cold because they don’t sleep inside any of these coops… they enjoy sleeping on TOP of them! 😂 Temps here in Frazier Park California get to low 20’s and maybe a rare high teens in winter..but typically low 30s..will they be ok on the top of these coops all winter???. There isn’t wind or any rain/snow that will hit them. It’s just the cold I worry about! I have noticed that when temps are low 30s outside the run remains around 40, no frozen water yet! Thoughts, ideas please! I know they won’t be happy if I force them in these tiny coops at night… 😂🐓 thanks in advance for suggestions and advice!

Attachments

• 4ABD0BDA-E0BA-4D99-8328-8CF94A0FD912.jpeg
    4ABD0BDA-E0BA-4D99-8328-8CF94A0FD912.jpeg
    300.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 8A4B67F8-DA00-4EDE-8958-B4903F29A00A.jpeg
    8A4B67F8-DA00-4EDE-8958-B4903F29A00A.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 46F47A4C-A010-4E62-AD93-F2A1D59053EE.jpeg
    46F47A4C-A010-4E62-AD93-F2A1D59053EE.jpeg
    668.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 0C37C761-3812-4CA8-B9A0-2AA33CFA542C.jpeg
    0C37C761-3812-4CA8-B9A0-2AA33CFA542C.jpeg
    532.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 033C7EAA-6B3A-49D9-91E1-14DEC5B8DFEE.jpeg
    033C7EAA-6B3A-49D9-91E1-14DEC5B8DFEE.jpeg
    546.7 KB · Views: 20
They will be just fine in there as long as the wind is blocked from blowing directly on them.
I would remove those little coops and just install a couple of nest boxes for them.
They will keep themselves warm by fluffing their feathers to trap body heat.
That’s a very good idea! The one larger coop I would keep.. hard to see in pics… my big girls enjoy roosting on that one! Thank you!

id open the plastic up a little bit. either up at the top, above their heads while roosting, or by pulling an entire panel down that isn’t in line with the roosts. that way you can get some air moving through their enclosure.

is their run attached to your house?
Great advice! I was worried about the snow coming in on windy days… but the panel not near their roosts makes sense! It IS attached to my house! 😂

They will be just fine in there as long as the wind is blocked from blowing directly on them.
I would remove those little coops and just install a couple of nest boxes for them.
They will keep themselves warm by fluffing their feathers to trap body heat.
Hi again! Quick question… with this large of a run do I need to worry about ventilation. There is a lot of air flow at the top and I open windows in back during the day… they also free range daily, except during storms. Keep reading so much about it with smaller coops but not so much with open air runs..with plastic.. 😂 thanks for the advice as always!

Hi again! Quick question… with this large of a run do I need to worry about ventilation. There is a lot of air flow at the top and I open windows in back during the day… they also free range daily, except during storms. Keep reading so much about it with smaller coops but not so much with open air runs..with plastic.. 😂 thanks for the advice as always!
Open up some at the top. But there is a good deal of air in there and not too many birds. It doesn't matter if a little snow or rain gets in that setup.

Open up some at the top. But there is a good deal of air in there and not too many birds. It doesn't matter if a little snow or rain gets in that setup.
Makes sense! I worry so much about them being cold hence the plastic mess 😂 Tonight low 20s and they are still sleeping on top of coops! Ha! I’ll open some tomorrow for sure. Thank you! I have only 7 birds and a lot of space.. you’re right about snow or rain coming in. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom