Winter Advice

ChattyChickens4Life

OCD (Obsessive Chicken Disorder)
Oct 1, 2017
Hi, all! I wasn't sure where to put this thread, so I put it here! So my flock contains 4 EEs and 1 Silkie. They are 3 months old on Monday. We are coming across winter time, and it can reach below 21 degrees Fahrenheit where I live. None of my chickens like to roost right now. They all snuggle into a big pile into the corner of our coop. So that's all good for now. Oh, slightly off topic, if anyone knows why they aren't roosting yet, I'd appreciate it. What I am worried about, however, is that I've heard the Silkies prefer to snuggle on the ground as opposed to roosting. So what if my 4 EEs begin to roost permanently, but then my Silkie still decides to stay on the ground. How will she get body heat from other chicks to keep herself warm? Thanks so much everyone! Have a nice day!

In the coop, my roost is about 8 inches off the ground. We are still messing around with placement, but it's been in the same place for most of the time.

They are able to get on it, but they have just not been roosting on it at night. Or any of the time, really.

Each bird can and will keep themselves warm. Think of being at the football game, it is your coat that keeps you warm, not the person next to you unless, they are blocking the wind. Birds need to be out of the draft, but not locked up tight, trapping heat in, moisture is what is really trapped in.

What one needs to worry about and address with winter is keeping birds dry. Dry chickens are warm chickens. Too small of coops, not enough ventilation, moisture condenses and rains back down on the birds. Wet damp chickens are cold chickens.

Good ventilation, dry bedding and enough space are the most important aspects to chickens in the winter.

Each bird can and will keep themselves warm. Think of being at the football game, it is your coat that keeps you warm, not the person next to you unless, they are blocking the wind. Birds need to be out of the draft, but not locked up tight, trapping heat in, moisture is what is really trapped in.

What one needs to worry about and address with winter is keeping birds dry. Dry chickens are warm chickens. Too small of coops, not enough ventilation, moisture condenses and rains back down on the birds. Wet damp chickens are cold chickens.

Good ventilation, dry bedding and enough space are the most important aspects to chickens in the winter.
Thanks!

Great analogy!

Great analogy!
X2!

Back
Top Bottom