Winter and Water

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hennyhandler, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    Okay this is the second year of winter dealing with water. I came up with the idea last year to get some insulating material, wrap it around the waterer and tape it shut so the chickens couldn't pull it apart. It worked for the most part. It kept things pretty thawed out.
    The thing is I bought another waterer since the other startes to rust and now I don't have that same set up and while I could copy it again I got to wondering is there not a insulated sleeve for waterers out there? I mean, look at how much other stuff has been invented for us small chicken coop owners. I would have figured that would have been made but obviously not by searches on the internet.
    So I thought maybe a de-icer or heater but I don't want to use electricity out there. I was hoping there was something I could heat up and then stick in the water that would help it stay thawed for awhile. I would still have to bring the waterer inside like I did last year cause something like that wouldn't keep it unfrozen for that long or with these temps. so I guess it wouldn't be worth it cause usually during the day it will unthaw on its own.

Sorry for going on and on and on but all these thoughts are swirling in my head and I'm trying to find a fast easy solution like NOW so... Anyhow, thanks and any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Oh and I have this problem with the duck swimming water so for those who own both, suggestions welcome there too.

2. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    In certain climates the water will freeze quickly. To keep water going one option is to put the waterer inside a house of it's own or something because evaporation cools water faster. For instance, you could make a straw bale "water house" where the waterer is inside a few stacks of straw (make sure to cover it to keep chick poo out of the water) and try that. Or, you'll just have to keep bringing water out.

I use a heated dog dish. It turns on to warm at 33 degrees and off at 44 degrees so it doesn't heat up dangerously and uses hardly any electricity. It's on a long extension cord to the house, plugged into a grounded outlet.

Good luck,
    Mary

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Heated dog dish here, too. This is my first year with that. In past years I've put the water in a black rubber pan, and hung a heatlamp shield over it. Only, I didn't use a heatlamp. A 60 watt bulb worked just fine.

4. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    Water and Winter! The worst part of raising chickens.

I wish I could find a waterbed heater. I would wrap that around the waterer and plug it in. One of those would even work for a plastic waterer. Just set the temp low and duct tape the sensor to a spot on the outside of the waterer where the pad didn't cover. But alas, I don't have one of those laying around.

I can't do the heated dog dish cause I have ducks in with the chickens. You ever see what a Rouen drake can do to a fresh pan of water? It isn't pretty. Nope, has to be a regular waterer that he can't turn into his own personal Jacuzzi bath.

My solution this year is gonna be the old cookie-tin water heater trick. I hope it works. I don't put water out at night...the birds are all asleep anyway. So I start the day early with fresh cool water sitting on my cookie-tin heater. By the time the water would have frozen, the sun is up and keeps it thawed until bedtime.... at least that is what I am hoping happens.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by