winter babies

needler

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
Athol, Idaho
I'm not sure where to post this so I'll try here. We are new with chickens and this is our first winter. We have one hen that has become broody and won't leave the favorite nest box. I've been snatching the eggs from under her because I'm afraid if they hatch they won't survive the winter. I don't want her to give it up for ever but don't want to loose a chick either. Also now the other's are laying outside since she is in the favorite box. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Connie

If your coop is large enough, I'd stick her hiney in a dog crate or something inside the coop (without bedding), or stick the crate (still without bedding) in the garage or some other secure location for about 2 days. Of course you'd need to put food/water in with her. Just keeping her from the nest for a while may break her. I've shut broodies out of the coop for the bulk of the day (but I have two coops, so the others still had a place to lay) to break them, and that's worked for me more than once.

You say 'you dont want her to give it up forever' Dont worry, she won't. I've been able to brake a hen of broodiness for a few weeks, but she always goes back to it. Once the 'broody bug bites..." She wants chicks. Keep moving her to another less popular nest. Give her some fake eggs or golf balls to sit on. She may leave the favorite nest for the others.

I am now raising 2 month old ducks- and I have to tell you- I will NEVER again try to do this during the winter. Just too cold and the babies are too unprepared.

Let her have her fun come spring...

Its definately harder in the winter but you can raise them in the winter if you choose too. I've never had a chicken go broody but I would think a broody hen would certainly be easier.

Folks thanks for the advise. It has been about 5 days, how long does this usually last? I'll try locking her out of the coop during the day and see how that goes before I drag the dog kennel down from the rafters!

Last edited:
broodyness can take a while if she aint sitting on any eggs. I think it is like 21 or 30 something days for eggs to hatch (If i am wrong sorry) if you want to break her do as the others suggested

also i heard a mesh bottom cage works well to break them of it, the air underneath them stops them or soemthing like that.

She will probably be broody for 3-4 weeks at least. If you really don't want chicks, just leave her alone and let her sit. She won't get disappointed and never do it again if she doesn't hatch something. Putting her in a crate or box in a quiet, dark place won't break her, because that is a perfect place to be broody. She'll just keep right on sitting, if the move doesn't instantly offend her out of it.

Last edited:
I could write the exact same thing, one of my silkies has decided that she MUST hatch out some babies. I have been on her for the last 3 weeks pulling eggs out since I really don't want chicks, kicking her out of the box but nothing shes so stubborn!

Well I have given in she is on 2 eggs now and if they hatch good for her.. If they don't and are bad well I hope it will stop her from going broody for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom