winter behavior

I shoveled an area for them today and they did not come out, I have been forced to re-arrange my feedin and waterin cause I thought they would come out, but they aren't. I guess they are wimpy. I even built a real nice wind blocked area in their run, but I guess it's just too cold, snowy and windy. Plan for some indoor coop activities (finger painting and things..lol) to keep them busy and not peckin eachother. I hang apples and gourds covered with corn and oats and peanut butter, hay will do dual duty and keep them busy and warm.

Quote:
Hmmm -----didn't think of that but if wild birds need it it probably would help in this bitter cold. This morning the wind chill here was
-25. Everyone was OK --- had to put out the heated waterers. Didn't let mine out today tooo cold--- I don't think they would have gone out anyway.....

BTW--- I learned to absolutely love my quilted carhart overalls today--- windchill be darn!
bun.gif

Mine are NOT liking the cold weather!! We've only had a tiny bit of snow, and mine wanted absolutely nothing to do with it. Mine do have a small, covered "chicken porch" that I've winterized by tacking up clear vinyl on the wired sides. So they will go out there to hang out now....

Had 25 RIR's free ranging every day and sleeping in 4x10 tractor with one end covered completely and has added extra perches.... Birds (they are 15 weeks old) were out all day/every day until dark waiting for new coop to be finished. Moved birds into new coop Monday Dec 7th at night. They are in a 10x10 coop with 4" wood shavings; draft free with front vents open all across the top of the coop. Temp inside the coop is about 20º+ the temp outside. Yesterday 25º coop was 48º inside. Today coop 43º - outside 15º with 50-60 mph wind. Coop faces south with windows on south and east sides only. North and west walls are solid. There is no insulation other than the roof shingles and the bedding on the floor. Will check water in the AM. Have heated 5 gallon home made heater with 60 watt bulb - this heater has not been turned on yet. Birds are not ready to be let out of the new coop until next week.

Back
Top Bottom