Winter blues ?

City Farmer Jim

Songster
Mar 18, 2020
South Texas close to Corpus Christi
I'm a newbie at chicken keeping and have not been this far in the year with chickens. Up to the last week everything is as it has been since spring I give the 9 girls treats at night in the form of scratch, scratch mixed with BOSS, mealworm, raisins...this last week they don't turn there beak up at the treats but they are not gobbling it up like normal...is this a fall/winter thing ? I gave them 2 mashed up hardboiled eggs 🥚 and they ate it with all 9 around the plate eating at the same time THAT NEVER HAPPENS ever.

Are your chicken also in their first year, or did you start with older hens? Have the girls been laying? If new layers, when did they begin? Are they still laying?

There can be differing reasons why chickens lose their appetites around this time of year. Some of our chickens are in molt and appetites tend to fall off during this period.

As days get shorter, hens quit laying and they require fewer calories. They will increase demand for calories as winter progressively get colder. In your area, this probably won't be an issue.

Boredom can play a role. But you should also keep alert for any health issues that may be behind the loss of appetite, such as worms or disease.

Watch for any chicken that becomes lethargic, mute, self isolates, and has dull eyes and a fluffed up appearance. Keep an eye on the poop for any changes, too.

since spring I give the 9 girls treats at night in the form of scratch, scratch mixed with BOSS, mealworm, raisins...this last week they don't turn there beak up at the treats but they are not gobbling it up like norma
They are maturing and now know too many treats is not good. :gig
Seriously, why all the extras?
They should fill their crops with a good chicken ration before roosting at night.

Back
Top Bottom