Winter Broiler Projects-share your progress :)

My layers will jump actually jump the meaty fence to attack them, i have to watch them close... My wyandottes are pretty aggressive to new birds. My EE and BPR just ignore them tho. The guineas are also very aggressive towards the meaties. they do all free range but are pretty far away from one another. Red, my wyandotte roo, will follow me all over the property at feeding time and he just ignores them all. (he knows momma is a sucker for his handsome cluck noises
love.gif
and he gets a few extra treats from the pig slop bucket) Am frustrated that my best layers seem to not like new additions. They are gong to hate me come spring, plans are for some marans and orpingtons next year. I am not doing another set of meaties till spring. The weather is just to iffy, and would have to invest in more heated waterers. Looked at a few options at the stores over the weekend.

so how do they do with the cold? i mean if they feather out they should be fine right?
we are letting our regulars just weather it out..... they huddle and keep eachother warm.

so how do they do with the cold? i mean if they feather out they should be fine right?
we are letting our regulars just weather it out..... they huddle and keep eachother warm.

How old are they now? If they are plump and feathered out, you will be surprised at how resilient they are! Main thing is avoid drafts, they do need ventilation, but up high, near the roof line.

Well, we lost one last night. I am not sure why and have not had this happen before with our layers or with the last/first batch of meat birds. I feel like these are just not as hardy as the others but the cold definitely could be a factor, though they are in a heated box, the temperature inside is where it should be for chicks, and they are feathering out nicely.

I'm so sorry!!
hugs.gif
How old are they now?

The ones I ordered from the same hatchery were chilled in transit and we lost several for the first 5 days or so. It sounds like yours might have gotten chilled when you lost a couple when the light went out. If you're not seeing any sign of sickness it may just be that they got chilled during that episode. Maybe you can go even warmer then you think is necessary for a while and give them some scrambled eggs and/or yogurt for a few days to give them a nice protein boost.

I really babied mine after I found out what the problem was. They had heat (and seemed to need it!) for 4 weeks instead of the usual 2 1/2 weeks I do with meaties. Also, it might help to throw an extra lamp in for them so they all have a chance to sit under one.

My 18 meaties are 6 weeks old today I will be butchering the weekend after thanksgiving I grabbed two at random and weighted them today one was at 5.6lbs and one was at 4.9lbs and they werent the big ones so for doing this my first time I think Im doing not to bad :). I had them in the brooder for 3.5 weeks till feathered there they eat through one bag of chick feed and some of a bag of flock feed they finished when they moved outside to an 8 by 4 tractor. We found a local brewery and we get barley mash one 35 gallon trash can full for $10 also got grain 80llbs for $12. I take the grain and soak in apple vinager and water and serve them that and the barley mash and move the tractor once a day the meaties still seem more active than everyone told me they would be but they are getting big. They get veggie scraps from the garden. I am about a 1/3 of the way into the one can of barley mash and thats feeding it to all 45 of my birds birds.

1 bag chick start $13.99
1 bag flock raiser $13.99
1 35 gallon barley mash $10
1 80lb grain $12
= 49.98 to raise 18 meat birds

I'm so sorry!!
hugs.gif
How old are they now?

The ones I ordered from the same hatchery were chilled in transit and we lost several for the first 5 days or so. It sounds like yours might have gotten chilled when you lost a couple when the light went out. If you're not seeing any sign of sickness it may just be that they got chilled during that episode. Maybe you can go even warmer then you think is necessary for a while and give them some scrambled eggs and/or yogurt for a few days to give them a nice protein boost.

I really babied mine after I found out what the problem was. They had heat (and seemed to need it!) for 4 weeks instead of the usual 2 1/2 weeks I do with meaties. Also, it might help to throw an extra lamp in for them so they all have a chance to sit under one.

Thank you so much. They don't seem sick at all so I bet you are right. I will definitely try to add some degrees to the box and give them some goodies tonight. They are a bit more than two weeks now.

so im fairly new at this and this has probably been covered. but in the winter when do you let your cornish x outside in the coops or runs without heat lamps and the such.

$50 for 18 birds if they all end up weighing and average of 6 lbs then you got organic meat for $0.46 a pound! Heck yeah! Cheaper and Healthier!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom