Winter care

gertieandgossie

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2019
I have two Toulouse geese (born in March). I'm in NJ where winters can certainly get into the teens at night. They have a shelter that they go in at night (a shed I converted into their home). Question for the group.....is there a temperature I need to worry about them not having a heat source or I guess actually needing a heat source?

I have two Toulouse geese (born in March). I'm in NJ where winters can certainly get into the teens at night. They have a shelter that they go in at night (a shed I converted into their home). Question for the group.....is there a temperature I need to worry about them not having a heat source or I guess actually needing a heat source?
Well, firstly let me say I don't know very much about geese, but my chickens in the outside coops have survived in temps down to 0F.
I would think that as long as they are dry and draft free with plenty of bedding they should do fine.
I do know that ducks and geese require very good ventilation in their houses.
I found this link for you:
https://www.mypetchicken.com/backya...-geese-be-outside-during-the-winter-H464.aspx
Good luck :)

Thank you Boskelli, some useful information there; The link touches upon it but I was wondering about their feet in the cold? Lots of animals have furry feet and paw pads but geese don't

Do they not risk frostbite or well...just generally being uncomfortable walking around barefoot in the snow?

Plenty of warm bedding! I made sure mine have a deep layer of straw when it starts getting down into the teens so their feet aren't touching bare dirt. Also make sure there's no wind blowing on them, but that there are ventilation gaps above them, so the condensation from their breath can rise up and go out instead of sticking around and creating moisture (a big risk for frostbite).

My geese don't use their shelter unless it's really windy. Even in below freezing temps my Sebastopols sleep outside right out on the snow. Never had one get frostbite.

Back
Top Bottom