Winter chicken pop door ideas

That should work great, actually.
Thinking about it more, the way our coop is designed, the door would hang in front of another piece of wood, making it harder for wind to get in the coop.
Thanks for the idea!

Yeah I was just thinking that the mud room doesn't really even need a floor. It could just be a piece of plywood or siding sticking with maybe a roof part to block the wind. That wouldn't encourage them to stand in it. Though I am considering a second pop door to decrease bullying or hogging of the entry way

Ok, well the door is built and people say no battle plan survives first contact with the enemy.
The run frame was attached a few inches too low for a guillotine door, so we went with a wooden flap door with a rubber flap door inside.
The idea is to leave the wooden door open most of the time, and when the weather gets bad to close it.
It will act as a roof and a door for the rubber flap door, which we made out of a car mat. Thanks for the idea Chicken Outlaw!

The wooden bit is a chock to hold the door shut if and when we need it locked.

So many good ideas here.... I am also in the midst of winterizing my coop. Last year they barely went out, and i didn't like leaving their door open due to heat loss. I like the mud-room idea and the rubber flap doors! Thanks for sharing this.

Back
Top Bottom