Winter Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 19marvinn, Nov 23, 2016.

1. 19marvinn

19marvinn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2015
    I am getting an additional coop for christmas because I am expanding my flock. I have looked absolutely everywhere to buy baby chicks and have found no one that sells or ships low numbers this time of year. Im at my wits end and was hoping someone would have some secret way of obtaining chicks in the winter. thanks

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The low numbers may be the drawback. How many are you talking about?
    I've raised winter chicks for years but either hatch my own or have bought at least 25 at a time.
    What state are you in? You may find breeders locally that are still hatching.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  3. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    Hatcheries in the northern hemisphere do not hatch chicks for backyard chicken keepers this time of year. If you know someone locally who has fertilized eggs you could get an incubator and hatch them yourself, or just be patient and wait until spring.

4. 19marvinn

Jul 1, 2015
    I'm thinking 3. That's my biggest problem. I know Meyer sends 3 in the spring but I can't find somone to ship in the winter. I have hatched eggs before but really don't want to do it again.

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    That's your problem. Shipping 3 chicks in winter even with heat packs is a recipe for disaster. If they'd do it, you don't want to open a box of dead chicks.
    If the heat pack fails and they are stuck on a truck in winter or on a plane, 3 chicks can't possibly keep each other warm. Before the advent of heat packs, it wasn't possible to ship less than 25.
    Have you looked for breeders in your area?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Important question.^^^^^

Why not wait until spring?
    Do you already have chickens?

7. 19marvinn

Jul 1, 2015

I have 11. I want more so I got a coop for Christmas. I wanted to get them over the winter so I could have them big enough to go outside in the spring

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

9. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    You can find many good quality chicks in the winter.

I know many of us here are NPIP and state licensed hatcheries. I know several here in Minnesota. I know I will start hatching in Mid December so I can provide chicks to 4h kids and exhibitors early in the year.

I have my first hatch planned for the second week of January (I think the 8th will be the date.

I will be hatching 6-7 breeds and varieties on the first hatch. I am about 95% sold out on that hatch.

I would suggest you go to your State thread on here and ask the people there. They will know where you can get chicks.

Chicks take a lot of care during the winter. You may find people selling Pullets this time of year. I am selling quite a few now. I wait until just before I start hatching eggs and cull. I want to see the full grown chicken on my breeders. They are all good birds, I will cull them for little things most people do not care about, like:

Head too large
    Head to small
    Comb not perfect
    Penciling incomplete on legs
    Wings not set right
    crooked toe

These thing in no way affect the egg laying or pet quality of the bird. They are just things a judge looks for at a show.

Good luck finding the perfect chicken for you.

10. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

I would wait......Chicks are enough work in the Spring......I personally would wait till Spring....Enjoy the Coop at Christmas...Only a few months till it can have Birds.......

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by