Winter Co-op Lighting - no electricity

toragirl

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 3, 2011
We have successfully wintered our small (3 hen) flock, but had no egg production in the winter months. We have no electricity in our backyard, and the coop is too far to reasonably run a line. Frozen water is not an issue (we're home to keep it fresh), but I would like to light the interior this winter in hopes of having eggs all winter. Anyone else have experience with a battery or solar solution?

If you can't get an extension cord out there those battery powered tap lights jump to mind as something that could be easily installed. You also might be able to take and modify solar powered yard lights to do the job.

We just purchased a solar light where the panel can be put on top of the coop and has a small wire leading to the actual light inside the coop. It can be turned off from the outside. I think it is going to work out well!

@roni My husband wondered if those solar panels will store enough to extend the light beyond natural daylight. We're in Canada, so we only get 8-9 hours of daylight in the winter, so we need 4+ hours of light in the AM.

What you need to determine, is does the panel generate more or less power than the light uses on a daily basis.

You have to run the light off of a battery, and use the cell to recharge the battery.

A good place to look is sailboat systems, we use super efficeint LED lighting and solar and wind turbines to recharge the batteries.

I have been looking into a possible solar/wind solution for light and heat this winter myself.

We're in Canada,

You won't find much that will be reliable in the cold weather you have there.

Batteries and freezing temps aren't too compatable​

Last edited:
I used solar spotlights with a remote solar panel for the last 2 years with bantams. The LEDs are pretty bright, but during the shortest days of winter I got maybe 2-3 hours of extra light. It seemed to work well enough. They are dusk to dawn lights, but the extra light at the end of the day wasn't bad, as the lights gently fade instead of shutting off abruptly. My set has 3 spotlights & cost $30 at Lowes. It's working great now as a light to bring the guineas in at night.

That's great to here, we really only need it to light up for 203 extra hours because the girls come out all day anyway. I'll start looking for an LED / solar panel combo. If Lowe's has it online, could you post a link to the item?

I am sorry to report but the small solar paneled shed light doesn't hold the charge for more than 20 minutes - just enough time to get the girls into the coop for the night. I need to figure out a plan B because they will not go into the darkness by themselves, and eventually will start laying, and will need to get them in somehow.

Back
Top Bottom