Winter coming

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by northcolors, Sep 8, 2014.

1. northcolors

northcolors Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2014
    We had our first eggs a couple weeks ago. Our chickens are laying eggs daily now. Any word about water for them during cold winters?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I'm not sure I am understanding just what you are asking - are you looking for advice on keeping water from freezing, asking about how much water they need in the winter or something else entirely?
    Congrats on the first eggs!

3. northcolors

Sep 5, 2014
    Seems I check and fill their water daily. They're thirsty! Was wondering what you might do to keep their drinking water from freezing?

4. Bill00

Bill00 New Egg

Aug 2, 2014
    Heated water bowl? I keep mine near the heat lamp and it dosnt freeze.

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yes, heated water bowls are great. Otherwise you'll have to refill their waterer with warm water every two hours which is not such a smart idea. If you get snowed in or have chores to do your chickens will run out of water so heated waterers are you best bet.

6. northcolors

Sep 5, 2014
    I just did a search online. Walmart has a heated Pet bowl. Thank you for the idea.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You can use heated water bases specially made for poultry. They even make heated water fonts as well. You can get these at some poultry suppliers on line. But what I do is get a heated dog water dish. Now, I don't like the birds dipping their wattles in the deep water. So I cut the sides down so it becomes just a base and then place the water font on top of the heated base. They don't get hot enough to hurt the plastic. BUT...ALWAYS keep them on bricks or a cement block. NEVER place these heated water bases directly on bedding. They CAN start a fire!!! So cement or bricks work well.

You can also do like Moutain Peeps suggested and bring out warm water every few hours too. And don't worry about keeping water warm over night. Chickens are not drinking at night when they are sleeping. Day time only.

Good luck and welcome to our flock!

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Congratulations on those eggs. It's always so exciting to get those first ones. X2 on heated water bases. They work great, and it's one of several reasons that I like galvanized waterers. You can use the heated water bases with them. If you're not familiar with the heated water base, you can see it at https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/no_freeze_heater_base.html. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting many more eggs.

9. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    We made a heater base out of cement block with light bulb in middle, clay pot sitter over it and set the fount on top. Found instructions on BYC or you tube?

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by