Winter duck boarding

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by farmdude, Nov 28, 2011.

1. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    I seen an ad on Craig's list for a pair of Peking ducks $25. He went on to say they are pets at his cabin and live on his pond. Once the pond freezes they'll get eaten by coyotes. He is attached to them and would prefer to keep them but hasn't a place for them to live over the winter. Would anyone be interested in boarding them over the winter? He'd provide feed for them. Yep, I called him. I am now boarding his ducks with mine. He delivered them with a 50# bag of duck feed tonight. He was very appreciative and says he will occasionally stop by and drop off feed. I got a kick out of him, a big tough burly middle aged man fussing over his pet ducks. I am happy to help him out.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    What a sweet thing to do. Glad you could help him out [​IMG]

3. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Thats cool. Yall might be sharing babies this spring. [​IMG] Thats how friendships are made.

4. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:They are a "mated pair" and I told him if she's on eggs when it's time to get them, she could stay and hatch them out and take the ducklings with them. He said; "You'd do that for me!!" Yep I would. I'm guessing my drake will cross with his hen and his drake will cross with my hens since ducks aren't monogamous.

5. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Oh yeah!

6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    How wonderful for you both! And the ducks!

You made a new friend and he feels better about his beloved pets. The ducks will have a restful winter and it really isn't any more work for you, especially with a bit of extra duck food to help out. Even if you never see him again you have more great ducks but it sounds like he loves them too much to leave them forever.

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    So how are you going to introduce the boarders? I'm thinking of adding to my flock and keep scratching my head about how to safely introduce other ducks, quarantine (?), etc.

And I think you are setting a fine, fine example of neighborly behavior. Good on ya!

[​IMG]

8. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:X2

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:X2

X3 [​IMG]