1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter duck raising tips

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chicken farmer, Sep 17, 2014.

1. chicken farmer

chicken farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern,Ohio
    Post your tips for raising them webbed foot,water loving,quacking birds here,it's getting chilly out there and before we know it it will be snowing. So post any tips for better care for ducks!!

2. emmajane07

emmajane07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2014
    Missouri
    I also would like some good tips [​IMG]first winter with ducks and chicks!

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My runners spend the night in a section of our walkout basement. It's not for everyone, but in our case, keeping them above 40 F at night makes a tremendous difference in their overall health.

I throw bedding out onto the snow so they can get their feet out of the snow when they want to.

I cover the day pen with a tarp when snow is predicted so I don't have to shovel in the pen.

Black concrete mixing pans take up a little solar heat, keeping water from freezing as quickly.

Pocket hoses or x-hoses are self-draining and save time and trouble. Use them, drain them, put them in a bucket at store them inside above freezing.

Some good quality dry cat kibble for extra protein, fat, and vitamins, as well as sprouted wheat and ground flax seed.

Keep the bedding dry, and thick.

Ducks still need good ventilation, even in the cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by