Winter egg laying

Quote:
You might try Calf Manna and also warm water brought out twice a day.
wink.png

I have 24 pullets, 4 breeds, almost 7 mo old. I get 17-20 eggs a day. No lights, approx 10 hr days here in E Tenn. I feel like they need the natural rest wintertime affords them. With hi-protein food and lights, I could boost it but I believe they would not live as long either. And they need some of the energy from their feed just to stay warm too. So with one lame runt, I may have 23 laying and I suspect this is good production for wintertime with no lights or special food. They get Dumor layer pellets , maybe 3 cups scratch/day, and all varieties of veggies, fruit scraps, beans, noodles, =bread crusts, etc for treats daily. The like sweet potatoes too and I have about 5 gallons left from the garden. I just throw one in there a day and they peck at it until it vanishes. (I cut up the first few I threw in to them until they got to liking them, now I just throw it in there whole) 7 are the gold comets (buff comets) and were the earliest ones to start laying at 4 months. I suspect if I had all just comets, I might get more eggs.

I have a large run at 2,000 sq ft so they get to run and jump/fly to one of three roosts outside, plus their two dust bath areas and one old rotten leaf pile to root in.

Last edited:
3 hens and 3 eggs a day.

I am in NE ohio and have 3 red sex link hens that I got as chicks in May 2009.They are in a unheated straw baled metal shed for pretty much all day.I go out 2 times a day to give warm water and food and move the pine shavings around.I get an egg from each every day.I have small windows I cut into the walls.Just 2 window so it is still somewhat dark.I am suprised to still be getting the 3 eggs a day.I suppose it will stop soon. I don't mind.I just want them to make it through the winter without any frostbite damage or any issues as a result of being cooped up all day.

Oh and I add 2 to 4 milk jugs filled with hot water to the shed.Don't know if that helps any.

I have

2 Austrolaps
2 Star Red
3 EE
1 Plymouth Barred
1 Mille Fluer
2 Cochins

Getting between 6 - 9 a day. They all just started laying about the beginning of the month. I have 3 lights that go on at 5am. 1 in their coop and 2 in the run. They shut off at 7am. They are the CFL lights so they slowly build up before getting bright and they seem to slowly slumber out around 5:30 when I come out with oatmeal with meal worms in them. I throw out some good scratch and their run is completely covered in plastic accept around the edges so they get all the light they can. They stay dry and out of the terrible winds coming off of lake michigan. Then they go in to roost around 4pm. I let them go in with normal darkness as I don't want to mess up their night schedule.

Back
Top Bottom