1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter eggs and freezing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by coleferg55, Jan 22, 2012.

1. coleferg55

coleferg55 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2012
    Hey everybody, i was just wondering if someone could answer this for me, i have 10 Rhode Island Reds that i make a good liitle bit of money off of selling eggs. Now that winter has really come around i am getting lots of frozen eggs, allot just crack and i can tell, but today some of the eggs felt heavier than usual so i cracked one open and i saw that there was a little bit of the white frozen, like a little thread, not even solid just off color from the rest of the white and crystaly. Is that allright to sell or should i just get rid of all eggs that are even a little bit frozen. Also, is there another way to tell if the eggs are frozen or a little bit frozen? BTW i cant get heat lamps on the are where they lay, i usually get them before they are frozen but it was super cold the last few night and im sick and off school so i slept in. Thanks!!!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I eat the frozen eggs but I wouldn't sell them.
    If they crack, I let them thaw a little and then boil them. I don't see anything wrong with them.
    I recommend gathering as many times per day as possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by