winter eggs-how to keep from freezing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Angiebubs, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I hear over and over how its best to not supplement the coop with heat. So how do people that work, keep eggs from freezing in the nestboxes before they collect them?

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Does it hurt the eggs if they were frozen? Just ate an egg today that was frozen upon collection on Friday... Tasted fine to me [​IMG]

3. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Hmmm aoxa...evedentlly not? LOL good point!

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Glad I could help [​IMG] Wear gloves though, hands get cold fast when collecting frozen eggs! Brr...

I work until 3 pm, so I'm in the same boat!

Frozen eggs have to still be better than store bought! [​IMG]

5. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    We leave the chickens in the coop till noon or 1 till everyone is done laying. keeps the eggs warm. If you have multiple nest boxes, block off one or two so they lay in fewer and have to rotate through. We also have the light come on at 4:00 am to get them moving sooner. If you can't get home till three, and you have a light on, just let them wake up with sunrise and extend their day in the evening. I know, I know chickens can't see in the dark to get on the roosts, but I guarantee after a couple of nights on the floor they will learn to get on early or suffer the consequences.

There was a member who had a roll out tray, and we figured out a box of Styrofoam and a light bulb to keep them warm. Search around for it, it should not be to far back...

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    With two nesting boxes for 7 chickens that usually only used the one we never had a frozen egg unless laid on the coop floor. Each one warming the eggs as they lay theirs, darn cold eggs past noon but none frozen to the point of cracking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by