Winter feed ... change when layers stop laying?

Aug 4, 2020
Ontario Canada
Hi Everyone! I've been feeding layer crumble / mash feeds since before my 'Chicklets' started laying in early September. With broodiness setting in and shorter days, I now have one of four backyard chickens laying and I'm wondering about what feed is best. Is layer mash too high in calcium if they are not actually producing eggs? The shells on the eggs my girlies have given me are awesome... very solid! But with them not laying now (and I'm OK with that ... they need their winter break) should I be changing what I am feeding them? Besides their feeder full of layer mash, I also provide a bowl of small bird grit, and another bowl of finely ground egg shells. They get very occasional treats, as I don't want to upset their tummies!

Thanks for your reply. My chickens have not really gone through a molt yet, although I've seen more loose feathers around over the last couple of days. Definitely the worst time of the year here for them to be losing feathers. Heading into a frosty winter cold spell! I hope I won't have to knit sweaters for them, LOL!

Thanks for your reply. My chickens have not really gone through a molt yet, although I've seen more loose feathers around over the last couple of days. Definitely the worst time of the year here for them to be losing feathers. Heading into a frosty winter cold spell! I hope I won't have to knit sweaters for them, LOL!
Haha! Mine did the same thing!

Back
Top Bottom