winter feed

chickenteen

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 26, 2009
richlands N.C.
what do i feed my chickens in winter??
hu.gif

I mix 50/50 gamebird and layer feed. My chickens are older hens and a few roosters.
smile.png

OH also if you are in a climate where the grass dies you may want to suppliment greens to keep a good yolk color and keep the chooks happy.

Last edited:
If you can, supplement with cabbage or other inexpensive greens. Sprouts are also very easy and very nutritious - mine go crazy over wheat and BOSS sprouts.

I feed my chickens a 80% lay n mash, 20% scratch mixture adding soybean meal to keep the protein rate at 16%. I would like to find some sort of bean shoots or other greens I could grow in a garage without much heat and a flourescent light. Chickenplucker

The easy answer is the same as you would feed any other time of year.

Because it's winter, and your in a mild climate, you don't have too much worry, BUT traditionally cold weather folks tend to increase the fat & calorie intake of their chickens in the cold months, which will allow them the extra energy necessary to keep themselves warm & toasty.

That means.. a little extra corn, maybe some oats and a few sunflower seeds... as a treat... around 1oz per day per bird, AFTER they've eaten their main meal.

gonzo&hispeeps
scratch is go freed and it does beef on your
chickens but the scratch is just feed and to chubby
up the ones you would like to eat and you shouldn't
change the feed all the time

The feed mixture I mentioned in my last post is the feed mixture I use in all seasons. I have read some info. concerning using soybean meal to adjust protein rates but as it is such a widespread practice will continue. I did research on fatty liver syndrome and feel it is mainly a threat to caged chickens or broilers. My flocks are all active and I feel the 80 - 20% mixture is acceptable. I will watch this mixture this summer in extreme heat. I havent lost any hens in our hot humid climate thus far but am aware of the heating effect of scratch. Chickenplucker

Quote:
Almost any kind of peas...
or you can sprout...

You can Soak & Sprout: Whole Corn, Wheat, Lupins, Sunflowers
*Other seeds, grains and legumes that may be sprouted are: amaranth, barley, buckwheat, corn, popcorn, millet, oats, rice,
rye, triticale, kamut, spelt, almonds, broccoli seeds, cabbage seeds, kale seeds, fenugreek seeds, teff, pumpkin seeds,
radish seeds, quinoa, alfalfa, clover, garbanzo beans, and adzuki beans.NOTE: Large raw beans such as anasazi, black, fava,
kidney, lima, navy, pinto, can cause problems of toxicity and digestive upsets when eaten uncooked and should not be fed raw to birds.

Do NOT soak or wet FLAX, as it can be toxic if not well processed first or fed whole to be processed INSIDE the chicken.

Many feel that feeding the sprouts right away, as soon as the tiny tail emerges is the right time. But studies have shown that the protein levels increase exponentially as the days wear on. Sprouts are NOT a significant source of vitamins & minerals as they need sun & photosynthesis to create those. But the ARE a great source of protein & enzymes and amino acids.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom