Winter feeding schedule

Moments

Songster
Jun 17, 2023
What do your feeding schedules look like in the winter with it getting darker sooner and lighter later?

I fill the bowl once a day in the morning. So no different in the winter here. I might toss out extra scratch to keep the busy and moving. I have muscovy.

I also free feed all year, refilling in the afternoon/evening to encourage foraging. In winter I add BSF larvae for extra stay warm protein.
Mine forage usually regardless of food and often spend more time foraging than eating their feed, though they usually do finish it up, just more interested in keeping busy. But in the winter when the ground froze not much foraging is going on except in the wooded area and when the growing thaws briefly. Ground is currently frozen but they still don't eat much of their feed it seems. I end up having to give them some in their indoor pen cause they often don't eat much outside on the colder days, which of course ends up a mess lol.

What do your feeding schedules look like in the winter with it getting darker sooner and lighter later?
This varies on your location for sure. In the winter chickens use more calories to stay warm. I have an e-learning module I will be posting about chickens in the winter once the admins okay it! I typically offer a large breakfast & offer free-choice food once the temperature drops. If you free range your chickens or not will also change the answer quite a bit! Mine free range and don't rely on me feeding them as much as other flocks where they are in a run all the time.

Back
Top Bottom