Winter fire safety!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickbea, Dec 2, 2011.

1. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    There was a sad story on our local news last night about a coop burning down due to a heat lamp - all birds were killed. [​IMG] What a horror for the owners.
    It was a good reminder to me that this is the time of year for those of who do use heat in our coops to take a close look at our equipment and our set-up and make sure that we have redundant safety systems. I went right out and checked mine (haven't had it on yet as we have been having really warm weather). I use a heater which I suspend from the ceiling, and I also have it tethered to the wall in two places.
    Everything looked great, so I dusted it off and fired it up. About 20 seconds later, flames were shooting out of the thing! As it turned out, over the summer wasps had started building a nest inside the heater where I couldn't see it, and of course the paper nest ignited like...well, paper! Good golly! Luckily I was still right there to unplug the thing!
    Apparently I'll have to check inside the heater before I fire it up next fall!

2. chickbea

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    ...not to mention that my girls now look at the heater as if it is the devil himself...there they were happily preening before bed and the thing starts shooting fire at them!

3. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I got an idea. GET THE HEATLAMPS OUT OF THE COOPS. Funny thing how chickens survived 1000s of years, and now people think they need heatlamps to make it through the winter. They don't need any extra heat sources. (Disclaimer, Unless you have some kind of exotic thinly feather or featherless bird, In that case, keep them in the house with you)
    Jack

4. chickbea

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I agree with you about heat lamps - the bulb breakage, the mid-air flying collisions; I don't even like using them with chicks. I use a shop heater, not a heat lamp.
    I heat my coop to about 40 degrees through the winter. The reason I do it is because I like to spend time with my birds, and hanging out in a chicken coop when it's 20 below zero is no fun. I also burn through about three times as much feed when I don't supplement heat, which then leads to three times as much poop...[​IMG]

5. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    TBD - Please help.
    If you have any electricity in your coop (heater, lights, water warmer, etc.) you should have a good fire extinguisher handy just to be safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by