Winter flock feeding

chicken farmer

Songster
10 Years
Feb 7, 2012
Southern,Ohio
What are some ways you feed your flock differently in the cold winter months? I always give fresh water after freezing,give them scratch before they go to roost to boost body warmth,feed more higher protein and fat treats,and they get more scraps. Post what you do through out the cold months as far as feeding goes
big_smile.png

We up the protein and give them cracked corn. My daughter and I have made suet cakes for them & we also bought a seed block once. The chickens loved it.

I feed scratch in the evenings. I also give them oatmeal, mealworms and herbal tea more often.

Herbal tea?? Please do tell! I grow & dry all kinds of mints....apple, peppermint, grapefruit, orange & chocolate as well as lemon balm. Do you just feed them the dried leaves? Or actually put it in warm water?

Oh yes I also make suet cakes for them,I save the fat from when we make hamburgers or bacon and they love it. I as well buy them a store bought seed block every once in a while such as Purina Flock Block

I feed scratch in the evenings. I also give them oatmeal, mealworms and herbal tea more often. 

Herbal tea??  Please do tell!   I grow & dry all kinds of mints....apple, peppermint, grapefruit, orange & chocolate as well as lemon balm.   Do you just feed them the dried leaves?  Or actually put it in warm water?

I second this! Would love to hear how your ladies take their tea!

I second this! Would love to hear how your ladies take their tea!

Herbal tea?? Please do tell! I grow & dry all kinds of mints....apple, peppermint, grapefruit, orange & chocolate as well as lemon balm. Do you just feed them the dried leaves? Or actually put it in warm water?
All you do is take the herbs you are wanting to use, (fresh or dried) and put them in boiling water. Let them seep for like 10 minutes. Stir them a bit. Once it cools a bit offer it to your flock. My girls LOVE it!

Back
Top Bottom