Winter flooring... I need ideas!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by madams10, Nov 1, 2013.

1. madams10

madams10 New Egg

Nov 1, 2013
    I have a pretty good size chicken coop. I am worried because it is a dirt floor. Is there an easy way to put a floor in it, like with pallets or something?

2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    This is what I would do not seeing your set up.
    I would get a pretty good sized piece of vinyl flooring about one foot longer than the length and width of your coop. I would then cut 6" squares out of the corners of this vinyl. This would allow the flooring to be friction fitted into your coop and travel up the walls 6". Then I would put in bedding.

Maintenance
    Shovel out the heavy stuff into a wheel barrow.
    Pop out the vinyl flooring hose it off pop it back in.
    Easy Peasy!

Bedding
    I have used all types of litter for coops.

I have not tried sand (sand gets good reviews on this site).

Of all the things I tried to date wood pellets have been the best. (I tried wood pellets as a last resort when pine shavings were not available.) They are super absorbent and swell up and eventually turn to saw dust. The droppings just seem to vanish and turn to dust when it comes in contact with wood pellets .

Replace my litter and clean my coop every October after I harvest my garden.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  3. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    There are a lot of ways of adding a wood floor. Pallets might not be a bad idea (covered with something to close up the openings) if it is only for the winter and you want to remove them for the warmer months and have just dirt again. You could also put down a thick bedding of wood chips or straw if it is the cold you are thinking about...or, even try wood pellets like Hokum Coco does.

Edit: Looks like HK and I were writing at the same time!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  4. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    there are alot of great ideas for flooring but with winter upon us, and i assume thats what you mean, there is nothing wrong with dirt floor. keep the cold wind off them, throw down a few bags of pine shavings and you should be ready to go. you can always build a floor using 2 by 4 framing but i would think that the chickens would hurt their feet on pallets if their toes or legs get stuck in between them

1 person likes this.
  5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas

Why are you worried because it is a dirt floor? What is your concern? Why is a dirt floor bad?

1 person likes this.
  6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I have a dirt floor, no issues with it at all. I just have a thick layer of shavings down except for under the roosts where I clean every morning. I'd rather have a dirt floor then a raised floor of pallets or some such, that creates to many places for rodents to live.

1 person likes this.
  7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Dirt is one of the best floors you could have.
    Anything else costs money, won't last, and will be harder to maintain.

If you're having moisture problems, put down several inches of clean dry sand, then pine shavings

If there are no moisture/drainage problems, just put down LOTS of pine shavings, and it will be perfect

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by