Winter hatching?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Alleyoops25, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    I was wondering if any of you try incubating eggs in the winter. And if anyone has had any problems with either the hatch or taking the chicks outside once they get their feathers. My duaghter is wanting to try to hatch out a few chicks. I just dont want to have a bunch hatch and once they get to big for the brooder we kick them out in the coop and have them get to cold and die. It is already getting cold enough here that I have to put a heat lamp inside of the coop and run it most of the night so that the chickens I have dont get to cold. we are dropping below zero some nights and the wind is horribly cold to.

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Several people are hatching right now! I have 12 in the bator....due in 15 or 16 days. I will keep them in the garage...under a heat lamp..for about 8 weeks or so, then out to the coop...Its draft free, and they will have plenty bedding to get down into. For those really cold below zero nights...they will have a heat lamp. If you have the room to have them inside for a few weeks...at least 8 weeks, I say, GO FOR IT!!!

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I'm trying a winter hatch, just cause I could not say no to hatching eggs!!!.......DH says where in the world do you think your going to keep chicks in the house during the holidays [​IMG].....under the Christmas tree? [​IMG]...and and winter has not set in yet sooooo they will be in here til Spring [​IMG]...this should be fun!....

4. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    We had one hatch last week and two more are scheduled to hatch this Thursday or Friday.

5. Kentucky~Momma

Kentucky~Momma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    South Central Kentucky
    I incubate and hatch all winter long... I guess really all year. I don't have problems with the cold here. I say go for it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by