winter housing for geese/ducks?

Glad you tried the apples.
I feed mine apple treats all winter.
Mine go bonkers over melon rinds
and fresh corn on the cob after we've
eaten the corn off.
tongue.png

So I got this email from a lady who lives a few hours away and they're moving to Alaska for some job training thing (hubby) and she cannot take her birds with her--she offered me THREE sebbies for FREE. The only condition is that I have to hatch her out some sebbies when they move back to the area, next year.
tongue.png
And should I decide not to keep them--she said she just wants to know where they went so she can track them.

She said they all came from Holderread's this spring and are a few months old. She's not sure of the sexes, though...she thinks two are the same and the other is different? I'm going this weekend to pick them up. They are all smooth breasted but my mother in law REALLY wants some geese so I could always keep them next door.
wink.png

I've had a heck of a time sexing my own birds so I'll send you some pics (or post them)--could you give it a go at their sexes?

For my ducks last year i used a heated dog water bowl. It worked good for them. This will be my first winter with geese..so..it should be interesting.

Cottage Rose: You metion using the pool in the winter also. wont the water freeze on them? Thats what i am afriad of.. I wanted to do it last winter for my duks but i was afraid it would make them colder or give them frostbite or something.. So a pool is okay then in the winter?

Quote:
Remember I live in "Winter Wonderland" Michigan!
lol.png

Did you see the pics I posted on page 1?
I've never had any frozen birds from them going in the pools during the winter.
Course I don't do it when its super cold or storming out....but on nice days I let them go swimming.
I just dump the pools out when I do PM chores.
That way the water doesn't turn into one big round,
flat icecube...which has happened when I was in a
hurry or too lazy.
Sometimes when its not going to get too cold I leave the water in the pools over night and just bust up the ice that forms on the top in the morning.
So check out this pic...do they look happy or what?
One is even biting the ice.
standard.jpg

Quote:
Remember I live in "Winter Wonderland" Michigan!
lol.png

Did you see the pics I posted on page 1?
I've never had any frozen birds from them going in the pools during the winter.
Course I don't do it when its super cold or storming out....but on nice days I let them go swimming.
I just dump the pools out when I do PM chores.
That way the water doesn't turn into one big round,
flat icecube...which has happened when I was in a
hurry or too lazy.
Sometimes when its not going to get too cold I leave the water in the pools over night and just bust up the ice that forms on the top in the morning.
So check out this pic...do they look happy or what?
One is even biting the ice.
http://www.fototime.com/592BBF824A81AF3/standard.jpg

My boss gander always thought it was his job to break the ice in the pool in the morning (I am in NC and the ice would usually be about 1/2" thick) He would jump up and down on the ice until he broke through. On the few mornings that it was thick I would break it with a hoe and he would give me a dirty look as to say " you are are making me look bad in front of my flock"

Back
Top Bottom