???Winter in Florida???

roll8221

Songster
13 Years
Sep 4, 2008
Central Florida
well...........i'm pretty sure the girls will be ok in the florida winter but this is my first winter with chickens and im not sure what i should be worried about. We've been in freezing temps here (like in the teens) but not long enought to actually freeze. Plus the whole floor of my coop is about two feet off the ground and the entire floor is made of hardware cloth. Not sure if it will be too drafty or not. Any florida veterans got any advice?

Im down around west palm, we are always pretty warm down here but when we do get a cold snap I never worry about it. I figure if the chickens can make it in Montana, North Dakota, Mich. they will be ok here for one night.

I thought about putting a light in the coop, but from the way people talk about it I think they can handle a lot more than I give them credit for! I'm in Gainesville...where are you?

Edited to add:
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
* We do get kinda cold (relatively speaking) sometimes, but because we're all so used to the heat, and because of crops, the weather svcs tend to make a pretty big deal of warning people when temps are gonna hit the freezing range. Maybe you could toss a tarp over the coop floor for those-- oh, say 3 weeks or so, just to keep the chill down.

Back
Top Bottom