Winter in New England

purr
Overrun With Chickens

DaKid we're neighbors I'm in freetown

Hello Neighbor:D
just move here 2 yrs ago so I'am a newb here too​

I would have the extra lighting come on in the morning instead of turning it on at night....when the light does go off the chickens would be in total darkness and I think it would be hard to get up the roost.

So glad I found this thread. There is another entitled cold weather so something like that...very helpful. Just like the lighting (I am not going to add any light and just let nature run its course, after all, I'm not the one that said "let there be light"), I won't be adding any heat. My coop is totally insulated and I got chickens made for NE.... 7 RIR and 6 BR. They are 20 weeks old today and one RIR has been laying for about a week and half... 7 eggs in 9 days.
big_smile.png

me too no light unless the water freezes and then I'll use a red light over the waterer. my coop is well insulated and I just put 6 bales of hay in there. Supposedly as it breaks down it heats up, And they love picking at it.

i think that might be the problem they dont want lite 24 hrs a day

i am excited to see all these new names from new hampshire and mass,
are you all aware of the milford nh swap coming up or the ones in westford or north oxford coming up this weekend?

would you like to be updated monthly on the swaps around? just send me your email addresses and i will be sure to put you on the list!!

the red light doesn't interrupt their sleep patterns like a regular light would but the best thing is if I can find a electric water bowl that would be awesome

Back
Top Bottom