Winter incubation set, anyone else!!

Been setting OEGB eggs pretty much daily as they come..as well as BO. My Little Giant is full! Just got a new hovabator that I'm working on filling up.
Also have a seperate hatcher. Waiting to gather enough eggs from my White Rocks and Plymouth Rocks to put in. Should have Silkie eggs soon too.
So much fun!!

Love that little people barn !!!! congrates on your chikies. mine has not come yet. this afternoon will be 23 days
sad.png

Pic #1; Rocket, Easter Egger
Pic #2; Star, Easter Egger
Pic #3; Speedy, Black Copper Maran

So my 2nd clutch went into lockdown yesterday morning and tonight I arrived home to a black Orpington chick!
celebrate.gif

I was so discourage after my silkie debacle that I wasn't holding out hope for this batch. 3 of my Marans have pipped and 1 more Orpington looks to be trying to zip. I don't know how I'm going to be able to sleep. So excited!
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Woke up too loud chirping 2 blue Maran chicks out and they mean business! Crawling all over and chirping up a storm. Its too dark for pictures so hopefully I can get some in a few hours before I'm off to work. 1orpington egg rocking and no progress on other pipped maran.
woot.gif

So my 2nd clutch went into lockdown yesterday morning and tonight I arrived home to a black Orpington chick!
celebrate.gif

I was so discourage after my silkie debacle that I wasn't holding out hope for this batch. 3 of my Marans have pipped and 1 more Orpington looks to be trying to zip. I don't know how I'm going to be able to sleep. So excited!
jumpy.gif

Woke up too loud chirping 2 blue Maran chicks out and they mean business! Crawling all over and chirping up a storm. Its too dark for pictures so hopefully I can get some in a few hours before I'm off to work. 1orpington egg rocking and no progress on other pipped maran.
woot.gif

Congratulations on the new chicks nice choice of breeds
clap.gif

Silkies are very difficult to hatch especially if the eggs are shipped I had 25 make it to lockdown and 10 hatch.

Sure it is supposed to be delivered on Tuesday. What is flexwatt?

When you get it will you please post pics of the underside? I have made one out of flexwatt and was just wanting to know what it looked like really.
ok it is here and I have been using it can't see the chicks under it unless I lie down on the floor but anyway the underside is just a black rectangle nothing to see I guess all of the wiring and heating elements are inside.

Congratulations on the new chicks nice choice of breeds
clap.gif

Silkies are very difficult to hatch especially if the eggs are shipped I had 25 make it to lockdown and 10 hatch.

Oh that makes me feel a little better about the silkies! I watched one more Orpington hatch this morning and another Maran has made a hole and I can see it's beak!!! The shell was cracked there last night at 7:30pm when I got home.... this morning tiny hole.... the others that had cracks last night are all hatched.... Should I be worried??? I can see his beak and it is free and clear so its breathing okay..... How long do I give it before I should start to worry???

I do have another question..... The one that hatched this morning's shell was a lot messier then the others seem to have been. There were unabsorbed veins and it was still attached by a thin thin vein to the much bigger ones.... I could see a round yellow ish spot on its belly/bum where I am assuming the yolk was absorbed... Is this normal??? Or is this not good???

Had to pry myself away from the bator and go to work .... so the day is going to be SO SLOW!!!!! Counting the hours ......

Oh that makes me feel a little better about the silkies! I watched one more Orpington hatch this morning and another Maran has made a hole and I can see it's beak!!! The shell was cracked there last night at 7:30pm when I got home.... this morning tiny hole.... the others that had cracks last night are all hatched.... Should I be worried??? I can see his beak and it is free and clear so its breathing okay..... How long do I give it before I should start to worry???

I do have another question..... The one that hatched this morning's shell was a lot messier then the others seem to have been. There were unabsorbed veins and it was still attached by a thin thin vein to the much bigger ones.... I could see a round yellow ish spot on its belly/bum where I am assuming the yolk was absorbed... Is this normal??? Or is this not good???

Had to pry myself away from the bator and go to work .... so the day is going to be SO SLOW!!!!! Counting the hours ......

keep checking but I usually give 24 hours before I even start to think about helping. The navel should dry up and get dark almost black looking if it didn't get infected should be alright, is it moving normally? How many are you waiting for now?
Silkies ha I had one batch of 9 shipped eggs last year one chick hatched and one pipped but died in the shell.Another batch of 48 eggs 13 hatched. I have 21 silkie eggs in the incubator now none are shipped all from my own birds we'll see what happens they are on day 7 i'll candle in 3 or 4 days.

Back
Top Bottom